2017 Hotel List

Home Forums General Discussion 2017 Hotel List

• This topic has 17 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by BirdBird.
Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
      BirdBird
      Participant

Beginning to think w should just have a separate section for FNG questions.  It now looks 99% likely that 2017 will be my FNG run so my next question:  When can we expect the 2017 hotel price list to come out?  My plan right now is to stay at the “host” hotel each night as I expect that is where we would form up most mornings.   Also, my wife will tell you I have never been one to just participate, but love t get involved.  How can an FNG contribute?  Will probably join up at Angel Fire and willing to help anyway I can (Central Route)

Chris "Bird" Earley
      USAF 1975 - 1995
      American Legion Riders 209
      CR 2017 FNG

IrishIrish
      Participant

The hotel list comes out the end of Dec. first Jan. give or take a week

Pat " Irish" Devlin
      2018 Midway Route 4th PL

DocDoc
      Participant

Kegkaiser, welcome to the run. You’re going to find you’ll have many questions as we all begin the countdown to departure. In fact, many of the answers you hear will just lead to more questions. That’s okay, just keep reading everything you see in the forum, the news letters, and the President’s and Route Coordinators messages.

Regarding your thoughts on the hotels, do not be too concerned about staying at the host hotels. There are pluses and minuses to that, and they will have little impact to your FNG experience on the Run. We do not typically have our morning staging at a hotel, as their parking lots are rarely large enough to handle all of bikes and support vehicles.

Finally, FNGs always want to contribute as much as they can, and that’s a wonderful thing, but you’re going to find that the logistics and the emotions are going to overwhelm you. The only thing you need to do, and the only thing we want an FNG to do is to deeply involve themselves in the experience. In doing that, you’re going to find you don’t have much left in you to do anything else. Again, welcome to the Run. Regardless of your motorcycle experience, you are about to do something unlike you have ever done before.

Doc

USAF 70 - 74
      Vietnam 71 - 73
      Combat Veterans Motorcycle Association 41-2 Reno, NV
      Midway Route FNG ATW 2015, TG 2016, TG 2017, TG 2018

PelicanPelican
      Participant

Kegkaiser,

What Doc said is right on the money…just ask away to your hearts content…none of us mind at all

"I never met a man I didn't like"...will rogers

VAFishVAFish
      Participant

Kegkaiser, What Doc said is right on the money…just ask away to your hearts content…none of us mind at all

2nd this.  Doc really nailed it (as usual).

As a FNG last year I can understand the wanting to jump in and do something.  But really just experience the ride your first year.  There will be opportunities to ride to out reach locations and participate in things like wreath laying and the missing man formation.  Just take those if they come up.

US Army 1982-1989 Signal Corps
      RFTW 2016 FNG 2nd Platoon Central Route
      RFTW 2017 Participant 2nd Platoon Central Route

Ghost RiderGhost Rider
      Participant

Kegkaiser,

The hotel listings for each route will come out AROUND the first of January. There are sometimes things that get in the way of a January 1 release but it will be near then.

Ray Wyatt
      2017 Southern Route Coordinator
      2016 Southern Route Assistant Route Coordinator
      2014-15 Road Guard Captain
      2011-2013, 2018 -2019 Road Guard
      Mission > Self

Tech DogTech Dog
      Participant

Kegkaiser,

Welcome home brother!!! What everyone is saying is spot on. Just do the ride. There will be sooooo much to take in, it’s unbelievable. There will be plenty of opportunity for you to take part in some pretty awesome and significant parts of the ride.

2016 was my  All the Way FNG year and I can tell you I am still absorbing the experiences.

Again, welcome; have you determined if you are taking the Southern, Central or Midway route?

Southern Route Rocks! Central is as original as they get and always remember the Midway, the new kids on the block.

Tech Dog

USAF Dec 74-Jul 95
      SR ATW FNG 2016
      Advance Team 2017
      "Imagination is More Important than Knowledge" Albert Einstein
      "Shoot for the Moon, even if you miss you'll land somewhere amongst the stars!" Ken Brown

BirdBird
      Participant

Tech Dog, I will be taking the central route as it gets closest to my home in Colorado.  My plan right now is to join the run in Angel Fire, New Mexico so I can ride with the pack back thru Colorado, but it turns out some other members of my American Legion Riders might ride out to Goodland Kansas so I might join them instead.

Chris "Bird" Earley
      USAF 1975 - 1995
      CR 2017 FNG

BirdBird
      Participant

O.K. I admit it, I panics and made reservations.  When I looked at Anger Fire, hotels were hard to find so I freaked and booked my entire trip.  Of course the funny part is the only one I didnt get was the one I was worried about.  Booked a room (condo) for only $69….then got tagged with a $75 cleaning cost.  Trying to get cancelled but they want a $75 cancellation fee.  Will see what kind of response I get from them tomorrow….otherwise I got a really nice condo to share!  (I also got all my rooms with 2 double/queen beds so I still have the option of a room mate if I choose to look for one)

Chris "Bird" Earley
      USAF 1975 - 1995
      CR 2017 FNG

DutchmanDutchman
      Participant

Probably 75% of the traffic in coming months will be FNG questions, comments etc. BUT a lot of the info exchanged will be useful or of interest to “old heads” as well. I think by segregating FNG questions some people might blow off that topic and miss something. It’s a lot better to just order the posts by topic. Just my .02………….

USMC In-Country I Corps 69-70

RFTW "Participant" 2003, 2004, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2018
      ATW 2010, 2011, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019

JOHN&JOYCE VAUGHNJOHN&JOYCE VAUGHN
      Participant

FOR THOSE WHO ARE ASKING ABOUT THE HOTEL LIST FOR 2017 GO TO THE TOP OF THIS SITE AND CLICK ON RUN INFO AND PULL UP YOUR ROUTE ITINERAY WITH THE HOTEL INFORMATION, IT SHOULD NOT BE ANY DIFFERENT FOR NEXT YEAR.  WE SHOULD BE STOPPING IN THE SAME CITIES, AND UNLESS THE MOTEL HAS BEEN CLOSED OR TORN DOWN, YOU CAN USE THIS LIST TO MAKE YOUR RESERVATIONS.  I HAVE DONE THIS AND HAVE HAD MY RESERVATIONS SINCE JULY.      SEE YOU ALL IN MAY,  JARHEAD,               SEMPER FI

SSGT USMC RETIRED 68-88
      MOS 1811/3141
      VIET NAM-1971 BLT-1./9 USS VANCOUVER-LPD-2
      DESERT STORM FEB-APR 91 (CALLED OUT OF RETIREMENT)
      KEOKUK POLICE DEPT RETIRED-1988-2010
      FNG 2016 CR PLT 10

Ghost RiderGhost Rider
      Participant

I can not speak for Central or Midway routes but on Southern route there will be some changes to the hotel list for 2017. Book early at your own risk.

Ray Wyatt
      2017 Southern Route Coordinator
      2016 Southern Route Assistant Route Coordinator
      2014-15 Road Guard Captain
      2011-2013, 2018 -2019 Road Guard
      Mission > Self

GonzoGonzo
      Participant

Just my 2 cents, but I have reserved rooms for the past 3 years at the “normal” time and have always gotten reservations.  There also seem to be differing opinions regarding whether it’s better to stay at the host hotels.  I prefer to stay at the host, but others feel the opposite.  The advantage to the hotels on the hotel list is the State Coordinator sets them up, so either they are good or they don’t stay on the list long.

Road Guard - Southern Route
      --------------------------
      Operation Iraqi Freedom
      CVMA Chapter 6-3

HawkeyeHawkeye
      Participant

To add to Gonzo’s comment, I’ve been doing The Run for 12 years. On a few occasions I didn’t know until two weeks before leaving Ontario if I would be able to go. I’ve never had a problem finding a room and have yet to end up sleeping in the parking lot anywhere along the way.

Pretty BoyPretty Boy
      Keymaster

KegKaiser –

Take a look at last years’ itinerary under the Central Route Hub on this site. Overnight stops will not change for 2017. Stay anywhere in or near the towns we overnight at. Nothing special happens at any of the “host” hotels.

I see you are from Colorado. Please attend the monthly RFTW Colorado lunches we do here in Colorado. You are MOST WELCOME, and bring a friend.  They are the 3rd Saturday of of every month at Johnson’s Corner in Loveland, CO at Exit 254 on I-25. Many people from the Colorado Springs area ride up, including the 2017 Central Route Coordinator, Dick McKay. It starts at 12 PM, but most people start arriving around 11AM to talk and BS. It is held in their meeting room in the back, on the North side of the building.

Also a bit of personal advice… If there is anyway that you can swing going ALL THE WAY you will not regret it. Start in CA if you can, or as far west as you can. But if you can’t join up along the way start where you can.

Feel free to shoot me a line, should you have any other questions.

Kirk

Kirk "Pretty Boy" Olson
      Route Road Guard Captain - Central Route
      Central Route Road Guard - 2010-2019

Participant 2009, 2015 | All the Way 2010-2014, 2016-2020
      2012 BMW K1600GT

Participant

Did the same thing and booked at angel fire but my cleaning was $59 DLS. Also got a $75 cancellation fee. Stayed w/room. Still need to book are hotels. Will wait for list.

BirdBird
      Participant

Fortunately i was able to get a full refund on my cancellation and booked a more reasonable hotel. Added all kinds of gear to the trike to get it ready to roll.  Now just counting the days (205 days to Angel Fire)

Chris "Bird" Earley
      USAF 1975 - 1995
      CR 2017 FNG

BirdBird
      Participant

Plan on attending the November 19th meeting if weather permits being on the trike.

Chris "Bird" Earley
      USAF 1975 - 1995
      CR 2017 FNG

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.