2019/20 Harley Ultra/Glides What CB’s used?

Home Forums General Discussion 2019/20 Harley Ultra/Glides What CB’s used?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      TaildraggerTaildragger
      Participant

I understand Harley didn’t come out with CB Radios on the new motors this past two years.  As an add-on it’s close to $1000.  Awfully steep for limited use.  Anyone out there using something different for their CB Radio?  Looking for some help.

Wally GatorWally Gator
      Participant

Hi Taildragger

Check on the Classifieds on here seen one and month or so ago for sale like 250.00

Retired city employee
      USN 76 to 80 USS Raleigh LPD 1
      USNR 80 to 91 USS Duncan FFG

ATW 14,16,17.18,19 Tail gunner 17,18 and 19

PopeyePopeye
      Participant

The Harley CB unit itself is $334.95 plus antenna another $30. You could install yourself, I believe all the wiring is there. Then the dealership has to flash the radio to add the CB unit. You would also need to purchase a wired headset, another $190.

If your bike is wireless, then you will need the bluetooth (Sena) unit instead of the wired headset to talk on the CB.  That’s another $325.00 for the single unit.  That would explain the $1000.00 price.

J&M Audio use to make a unit that clamped to the handlebar. You might be able to find one of those on eBay.

I ride with friends and our HOG chapter, we communicate by CB so it’s not limited use for me. Also, a lot of riders are now using the Sena bluetooth instead of a CB. So, depends on how you want to communicate. RFTW is still using the CB.

Hope this helped,

JR

JR May (AKA Popeye)
      Member of American Legion Post 38, Somerset KY
      Member of AMVETS Post 125 Somerset KY
      Member AMVETS Riders Post 125 Somerset, KY
      Member of Patriot Guard Riders
      Member Man O'War HOG Chapter Lexington, KY
      Army Vet
      Tail Gunner 9th Platoon Central Route

TexTex
      Participant

Be aware that the newer Harley touring bikes have brake reservoirs on both handlebar sides. Older J&M units attach to the handlebars, but can’t on the newer Harleys because of the hydraulic reservoirs. I just looked through J&M’s catalog, but didn’t see any external mounts listed. Sounds like the bluetooth is your best option. I wish I had it on my Roadie, but it wasn’t available in 2013 so I went with the handlebar mounted unit. Works like a champ.

Tex

NAVY
      in-country '68-'69 PBR-759
      GM3/ FTG2
      SS qualified (USS DACE SSN-607)
      Retired Senior Software Manager
      Retired A&P
      ATW '13, '15, '16, '18, '19
      FNG once - TG once - APL once, ROAD GUARD once, pain in the butt the other time

Redleg (aka. Sloke)Redleg (aka. Sloke)
      Participant

I ate the price for the aftermarket CB and WHIM.  The 1k price tag is about right.

Daniel W. Slocum
      CPT US Army RET
      ATW CR FNG 2016, CR Participant 2018
      Canceled: 2020 Midway Tailgunner 2nd Platoon

WizardWizard
      Participant

You DO NOT need a CB to make the run!!

HOPE FUELS, The Families, The Mission, US
      Retired Army E-7
      Former Honor Guard Coordinator, SR
      Former Tail Gunner, SR
      Former Ambassador SR
      Risk Management Officer, SR 2021

TexTex
        Participant

Absolutely ! While you can listen in if you HAVE a CB on your scooter, we ask that you refrain from transmitting at any time during the run. CB’s are the way the leadership communicate to keep the run safe and on time.

Tex

NAVY
        in-country '68-'69 PBR-759
        GM3/ FTG2
        SS qualified (USS DACE SSN-607)
        Retired Senior Software Manager
        Retired A&P
        ATW '13, '15, '16, '18, '19
        FNG once - TG once - APL once, ROAD GUARD once, pain in the butt the other time

TaildraggerTaildragger
        Participant

Copy that Tex.  I’m the Midway Road Guard Captain.  Needed info for one of my Road Guards.

TaildraggerTaildragger
        Participant

Copy that Wizard.  I’m the Midway Road Guard Captain.  Needed info for one of my Road Guards.

Participant

Just registered into RFTW forum.Saw your cb question,for your info purchased a midland portable CBunit for my 08 roadglide and was going to figure a way to adapt to bike .But then traded for 13 trike so I have this unit still in box ,Look on midland site and see if you can use this mongo

TaildraggerTaildragger
        Participant

Mongo, you happen to have the Model # so I can look it up?  Thank you

Participant

sorry for slow reply ,midland 2 in 1 portable cb model 75-822.Note that is is kinda for use un a 4wheeler bur it thansmitts and receives ,may mount to your tank ?maybe theres a video .Its new and in box.Yours if you think it,s usefull  ,for a fellow RFTW  brother ,I,ll pay shipping  and its yours.Im in cookeville tn and this is a stop city for midway ride ,  take care and good health        fred

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.