• February 16, 2017 at 10:57 am #4037
    Hawgwash
    Participant

MAY 28-JUNE 1, 2017

2nd Annual Wytheville Wind down for those not attending Rolling Thunder and needing some decompression time before heading home.

Events will include local Memorial program in Withers Park (28th)

Wreath laying and Ceremony at S.W. Virginia Veterans Cemetery, Dublin VA on Memorial Day

No Host dinner at the Moose Lodge in Wytheville (TBD)

Organized rides to include Claw of the Dragon and Mt. Airy NC..Home of Andy Griffith…”Mayberry”

Open to all regardless of RFTW Route taken…Participants are responsible for ALL expenses…We will be coordinating with local hotels for a group rate.

This “IS NOT” a Run For the Wall sanctioned event

If interested please e-mail: [email protected] with contact info

• February 16, 2017 at 2:51 pm #4041
    Scooter Magoo
    Participant

I have to ask: what route is “Claw of the Dragon”? I’ve been on Rt. 16 from Tazewell to Marion Va. which is referred to as” The Backbone of the Dragon”.

• February 16, 2017 at 4:15 pm #4042
    Hawgwash
    Participant

Claw of the Dragon is a series of 5 loops that are in close proximity to Wytheville VA.

Backbone of the Dragon is one portion of one loop.

Suggest you google “Claw of the Dragon” and look at the various loops which are too detailed to get into on this forum.

• February 16, 2017 at 4:45 pm #4045
    Hawgwash
    Participant

Actually..it is “Back of the Dragon”

• February 16, 2017 at 6:38 pm #4047
    Scooter Magoo
    Participant

Got it. Would make for a long day or will this be over how many days ? Good rides. The first time I did Rt. 16 was around 1983. The road was a little narrower then, and I was in a long nose Western Star pulling a 42 ft. flatbed.  Total length 60 feet long. I was on Rt. 52 last fall between Wytheville and Bland Va. The section between Big Walker and Bland had deteriorated into a lot of lose gravel. Maybe it’s been resurfaced by now. Lots of twisties in that part of the country. Burkes Garden off Rt  61 east of Tazewell is  different.

• April 21, 2017 at 3:04 pm #4990
    HooferHoofer
    Participant

Has there been any more discussion on this?  Is it still happening?

• April 22, 2017 at 8:06 pm #5000
    DocDoc
    Participant

I’ve booked a room for the Wytheville Wind Down and plan to explore the local twisties for the following day or two. I know of one other rider that is planning to do the same. The last I heard, the plan is to depart Arlington on Sunday at 0600 before they stage for Rolling Thunder. I heard great things about last year, but I haven’t heard anything more regarding this year’s activities.

Doc

USAF 70 - 74
    Vietnam 71 - 73
    Combat Veterans Motorcycle Association
    Midway Route FNG ATW 2015, TG 2016, TG 2017

• April 23, 2017 at 2:53 pm #5006
    Hawgwash
    Participant

Wind Down will still depart Host Hotel in Arlington 0600 Sunday prior to Rolling Thunder participants leaving.

Several events have been coordinated by the Tourism Department to include a walking scavenger hunt in Downtown Wytheville, Dinner (no Host) at local entertainment venue, Day rides, Dinner (no host) Moose Lodge…

..and the 2 most important events:

Wytheville’s own Memorial Day event at Withers Park on Sunday 1:00 PM (*)

Wreath laying, SW VA Veterans Cemetery Dublin VA (By invitation of the cemetery)

(*) We plan on several stops between Arlington and Wytheville with ample time to arrive prior to ceremony.

• April 23, 2017 at 5:03 pm #5008
    WizardWizard
    Participant

Man, you have me thinking I should participate.  I am considering.

Retired Army E-7
    Former Honor Guard Coordinator, SR
    Former Tail Gunner, SR
    Ambassador SR
    MISSION > SELF

• April 27, 2017 at 2:07 pm #5101
    Hawgwash
    Participant

We are extending the Wind Down thru Friday, June 2d so that anyone interested can attend the first of the 3 band concerts put on in Withers Park…Concert is Friday evening, June 2d and the cost to get in under $10.00.

Have been to several in past years and they are well worth staying that extra day.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.