800 Pound Coronavirus Gorilla

Home Forums General Discussion 800 Pound Coronavirus Gorilla

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I don’t want to piss anyone off with this post but I’ve always tried to be a proactive person. Now, are there any contingency plans for what could happen with this years 2020 RFTW because of this Coronavirus. If you just blow this question off then I see it as being a little irresponsible.  The state of Washington has just banned public gatherings of 250 or more. New York has quarantined portions of the state with their National Guard. I think someone needs to get on top of this as and information needs to be disseminated as any one of these routes could be shut down for any number of reasons or worse quarantined at any point and time.  California could shut this down before it even starts. If this keeps morphing and there is no evidence of if it not then I can’t image the government allowing a bunch of bikers to gather in Washington DC..  Is there another solution or workaround, just asking?

HooverHoover
      Participant

Howdy All,

I am hoping that as veterans with veteran leadership we can come up with some good contingency plans so that the mission can carry on in the face of this terrible situation. I for one do not want to endanger any old veterans or citizens on our way across this wonderful land but would still like to “Ride for those who can’t”!  I figure our leadership is diligently working on plans as we speak to find best way for us and all those we meet to safely complete the mission.
      As they say, “No battle plan survives first contact with the enemy”.  I think we know who our 2020 enemy is and will be learning more about them in days and weeks to come.
      Rick “Hoover” Schromm (2020 CR FNG)

Participant

It’s getting serious and we haven’t even touched the tip of the iceberg so to speak. I just sat down to eat but couldn’t help but over hear that the NBA is shutting down public participation of it’s games. This thing is escalating very fast, maybe it will be over by May 13th.

Nick HentgesNick Hentges
      Keymaster

The BOD is discussing plans to deal with this if it does become an issue and will be releasing a statement soon. Please take note of the fact that we are still over 2 months out from KSU in Ontario and there is no way to know what the course of this Virus is going to be in that time frame. Please rest assured that plans are being made to deal with this.

Richboy
      Honolulu Hawaii
      ATW Central Route 2009-2019
      Tailgunner 2010
      Asst Platoon Leader 2011-2016
      Platoon Leader 2017-2019
      Wall to Wall Recon 2019
      RFTW BOD Director of Public Relations and Communications

CharlieCharlie
      Participant

Thou I walk through the valley of death I will fear no evil

Participant

As I’m sure residents of Arlington county and DC can tell you, the situation here in Arlington and DC is not good.  With 3 routes crossing the country and riders numbering in the hundreds, it won’t take much to expose riders to a bad situation.  I say let the ride go on.  Let the riders decide if they want to make the ride.  Leadership needs to assure those that choose to participate with specific plans that will minimize corona virus exposure and the specific plan for those riders who show corona virus symptoms.  I don’t believe there can be no virus exposure.  The fact is the situation will get worse before it gets better.  KSU is 9 weeks away.  15 MAY will be here sooner than you think.

Snowman808

TexTex
      Participant

I just received email from the BOD outlining the current course of action regarding The Run and COVID_19. So far, business as usual with contingency plans in development. I back this decision 100%. That had to have caused a lot headaches and late nights. Thanks go out to all those involved in the decision process.

Now, back to practicing my packing for the 7th time and another 200 mile warm-up trip this weekend.

It’s not May, yet, but it’ll get here before you realize it.

Tex

NAVY
      in-country '68-'69 PBR-759
      GM3/ FTG2
      SS qualified (USS DACE SSN-607)
      Retired Senior Software Manager
      Retired A&P
      ATW '13, '15, '16, '18, '19
      FNG once - TG once - APL once, ROAD GUARD once, pain in the butt the other time

DataData
      Participant

Read the latest post on the president’s page  “Posted on March 12, 2020March 12, 2020 by Les Williams — Leave a commentFor Immediate Release: Statement of the Board of Directors Re: Corona Virus (COVID-19)”

Participant

You’ll either love it or hate it……………..With all the COVID-19 updates coming out daily on the situation across our great country, I want to retract my initial statement of allowing those who want to participate to do the ride.  I want to be the first person on this forum to publicly state CANCEL THE RIDE.   This is not an 800 pound gorilla but an 800,000 pound gorilla.  This makes King Kong look like a spider monkey.  Isn’t it better to error on the side of safety?  Today’s overreaction may be tomorrow’s under reaction.

WizardWizard
        Participant

Earlier this was posted.

Statement of the Board of Directors Re: Corona Virus (COVID-19)
        We are still two months out from the start of RFTW XXXII. All of us have many questions about the COVID-19 virus, and precious few answers. This is a very fluid situation. By the time we’re ready to go Kick Stands Up the virus may well have run its course, much like the normal flu viruses we’ve dealt with every year. At the other end of the spectrum, it’s possible we could be confined in quarantine zones throughout the country and subject to severe travel restrictions. Most likely, we’ll find ourselves somewhere in between. As of now, we simply have no way of knowing.

The Board of Directors is following the situation closely. At this time, we are still planning to conduct the Run as we always have. As a precaution, we have asked the Route Coordinators to develop contingency plans in the event any of our normal visits (schools, VA hospitals, community gatherings, etc.) are closed to us. We will continue to monitor events and make decisions as circumstances dictate. These will be announced to our ridership in a timely manner. In the meantime, we ask each of you to…

Be patient and remain calm.
        Avoid speculating on social media… unsubstantiated rumors are not helpful.
        Plan for the Run to be conducted as usual, unless you hear otherwise from the Board of Directors or your Route Coordinators.
        Keep your plans flexible and be prepared for the unexpected.

Please follow this guidance.

Retired Army E-7
        Former Honor Guard Coordinator, SR
        Former Tail Gunner, SR
        Former Ambassador SR
        Risk Management Officer, SR 2021

TexTex
      Participant

I saw a suggestion posted on the RFTW FB page suggesting delaying the Run. The more I think about this the more it sounds like a viable alternative. We leave in May because it is traditional. Perhaps it is time to go with change…at least for this year. May is an absolutely crappy time of year for weather along the route(s). We’ve all experienced this (if you haven’t, you’re an FNG). On the plus side, schools are still in session. On the other hand, it probably wouldn’t make a difference to the memorials, VA Hospitals, or most towns if, just this once, we arrived at a later date. Pushing the Run out to July/August/September time frame would require a complete overhaul of our planning so far over the past year. New contracts would have to be signed with hotels, etc. assuming we are still welcomed and the national rules governing congregations of groups our size are allowed. Having never been in on the planning process I can’t imagine the things that have to be considered by pushing out the date. So, there are 3 choices we need to consider: cancel for the year 2020, continue with the same departure date, but with a modified schedule for 2020, or reschedule for later 2020. It is going to be extremely difficult to accomplish any of the 3 at this point, not knowing what additional rules concerning gatherings of our size might be released in the near future. The BOD has said “sit tight and wait”. I’m willing to do that. If the worse comes to pass I just need to make a boatload of phone calls to cancel reservations. I don’t expect to die in the coming year so I’ll just make the Run next year.

Now, did I just talk myself out of my suggestion of pushing the Run date out to later this year ?

Tex

NAVY
      in-country '68-'69 PBR-759
      GM3/ FTG2
      SS qualified (USS DACE SSN-607)
      Retired Senior Software Manager
      Retired A&P
      ATW '13, '15, '16, '18, '19
      FNG once - TG once - APL once, ROAD GUARD once, pain in the butt the other time

CharlieCharlie
      Participant

How about 4th of July as date. We leave about 10 days before the $th?

CharlieCharlie
      Participant

We can leave on June 23rd and arrive on July 3rd.

LaneLane
      Participant

see you all in 2021…sad… but proud of the BOD for looking out for everyone

Lane Flynn
      2019 ATW - MR

Nick HentgesNick Hentges
      Keymaster

March 20, 2020

On behalf of the Board of Directors, it is my sad task to announce that we are cancelling RFTW XXXII scheduled for May 2020, because of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.  This action reflects the unanimous vote of the Board of Directors, with the concurrence of all four Route Coordinators.  We felt it necessary to make this decision now so that riders will have sufficient time to take whatever actions may be needed, such as cancelling reservations, without incurring any penalties.  We also felt it was necessary so that our state coordinators could begin notifying the communities and organizations who support us as soon as possible.

The Board of Directors did not reach this decision lightly.  Each of us agonized over it and came to this conclusion with the utmost reluctance. We ask for your understanding and support.  Rest assured, our next regular Board meeting on April 9th will mark the beginning of our planning to resume THE MISSION in 2021.

From each of us on the Board, and from your Route Coordinators, thank you!

Les Williams
      President, RFTW Board of Directors

Richboy
      Honolulu Hawaii
      ATW Central Route 2009-2019
      Tailgunner 2010
      Asst Platoon Leader 2011-2016
      Platoon Leader 2017-2019
      Wall to Wall Recon 2019
      RFTW BOD Director of Public Relations and Communications

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.