• April 21, 2019 at 5:25 pm #11965
    Participant

It’s getting close to begin our trek west or to wherever you are beginning the Run. A few things to check:

1) valid, through the end of the Run, drivers license, vehicle registration and proof of insurance.

2) notify your bank and credit card company of upcoming travel.

3) verify all hotel reservations.

4) cash set aside in 1’s, 5’s and 10’s for all the fuel stops.

Safe me travels my friends and look forward to seeing you on the Run!

Tom Wistrand “Ziptie”

Midway Route Rear Road Guard

• April 21, 2019 at 8:33 pm #11967
    Participant

Check, check, check and check (or actually that would be cash)  see you on Midway!  Ride safe!

• April 22, 2019 at 9:25 am #11970
    YukonYukon
    Participant

Getting real for sure! I’m out of town the 2 weeks prior to the ride, so I’m packing the bike this week!

2019 FNG - Central Route
    Operations Manager - Motorcycle Relief Project
    www.motorelief.org
    Sergeant at Arms - ALR Post 2008, Falcon CO

• April 24, 2019 at 7:45 pm #11990
    Participant

Thank you for the information. Speaking of paying for gas I was wondering how most people carried their money so it’s easy to get to at the gas stops. I have been on 2 previous rftw rides but only for 1 day each time and the gas stops were donated. Trying to figure out the simplest way to carry it so that I can get to it easily. Thanks

• April 25, 2019 at 5:15 am #11993
    Participant

After each gas stop when you stage, set up your money in your pocket for the next stop.  Put somewhere where it is easy to get too.  As I’m waiting in line, I take it out and clip it to my windshield.  Hope this helps.

GSCM USN(Ret) '57 - '89
    L/M VFW 3788
    L/M AL 460
    C/M ALR 460
    Ala PGR
    ATW 2000 (SR Recon), ATW 2003 SR, Participant 2018 SR (Fueling Team)
    Participant 2019 SR (Fueling Team)
    Gulf of Tonkin '64-'65; DaNang '69-'70

• May 7, 2019 at 3:59 pm #12237
      imjrnokcimjrnokc
      Participant

I put gas money in an individually labelled envelope for each day’s stops and keep them in my windshield bag for quick access.  I pull one out right after I open my fuel tank, gets you into a routine.  Lot’s happening at those gas stops.

Gerald Richerson
      U.S. Navy 69-72
      USS Rathburne DE-1057

• April 25, 2019 at 5:44 am #11994
    Wally GatorWally Gator
    Participant

Don’t forget your co-rider if you have one should be the first thing on your list

Retired city employee
    USN 76 to 80 USS Raleigh LPD 1
    USNR 80 to 89 USS Duncan FFG

ATW 14,16,17.18 Tail gunner 17,18

• April 25, 2019 at 7:27 am #11996
    CH54CH54
    Participant

I use a bank money bag with a dozen paper clips with 3 five dollar bills and 5 one dollar bills in each. Plus keep one in my pocket in case I forget to stick one in my windshield bag at the last fuel stop.

CR ATW 13,14,15. Participant 16, ATW 17, Participant18.

• April 25, 2019 at 10:48 am #12056
    Participant

Chris, I put together bank envelopes with $19 each for every fuel stop on your route of 1-$10, 1-$5, 4-$1’s. (Many riders just use $5’s and $10’s to donate to the chase trucks.) I put a days worth of fuel stops inside my vest for easy access at the pumps. The important thing is to have your fuel monies easily accessible each day. Rarely would you require, if ever, (even with CA prices) more than 1 envelopes contents.

Tom Wistrand “Ziptie”

Midway Route Rear Road Guard

• April 25, 2019 at 11:22 am #12057
    Participant

Thanks for the information

• April 25, 2019 at 11:54 am #12058
    Papa HawgPapa Hawg
    Participant

I take a snack type ziplock bag, put a 10, 5 and 5 ones  in each one.   Each day I count the fuel stops and have that many “PACKS” in side my vest, at the last fuel stop of the day, I make a donation to the Chase Team to support them.

This year, I am saving for the Moose Lodge in Hopewell VA that suffered a fire in February 2019.  This has been a Midway stop since we started in 2014.

Participant C. R. 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2013
    ATW Midway 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019
    Participant Midway Route: 2015
    Ambassador Lead 2019 Midway Route

U.S. Army Retired 1978 ~1998

• April 25, 2019 at 12:50 pm #12061
    Participant

Thanks again for the information. Greatly appreciated

• April 27, 2019 at 8:08 am #12094
    PelicanPelican
    Participant

Everyone has a method of handling their fuel stop money that they are comfortable with.

Her is mine:

I roll a ten a five and four ones into a roll and put a newspaper rubber band around it. I have one roll for each fuel stop. I place three rolls for the days ride in my vest pocket for the day. One roll is placed in an outside right hand vest pocket before departing for the next fuel stop. As we are working our way to the fuel pumps, I pull out the right pocket roll, pull the rubber band off with my teeth,( they are bio-degradable), unroll the bills and clip them to a small cargo clip on my dash. After fueling I count out the cost , stuff the left over cash into my pocket, which is transferred to an inside pocket to be used as “bling” money later on, and proceed to staging. Once staged I move another roll into the outside pocket to be ready for the next fuel stop. ( If the fuel stop is a “donated” fuel stop, then the original roll stays where it is for the next stop) I have a roll for each fuel stop for going ATW pre-rolled. I store all those rolls in a “donated” Tampon travel bag,(I figure a bad guy may not want to steal a Tampon bag.)

I have never used all of my fuel stop cash, so, I have some rolls that been in that state of preservation for five years. ( I save them for the next years Run as an incentive to start saving as soon as I get home from the Run)

Just my two cents worth thrown in here…..

"I never met a man I didn't like"...will rogers

• April 27, 2019 at 9:46 am #12096
    DougWalkerDougWalker
    Participant

As a chase truck team we appreciate your support. I hope I NEVER have to have your bike in my trailer. But we are always there if needed. We have had some wonderful folks riding in the back seat and we love you all. We are looking forward to seeing you at the stops. NOT ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD! Rest assured, we will be there for you if the need arises.

Ride Safe!

Doug & Shirley Walker

CR Chase team 4

CR Chase 4 '14, '15, '18
    Sgt USMC 62-66
    Chu Lai 65-66

• April 27, 2019 at 9:27 pm #12099
    Participant

Great post Doug!  Looking forward to seeing you at Paradise Harley on the 8th!

Len P

• May 4, 2019 at 3:02 pm #12178
    Participant

Most of all do not forget to give your Wife a big HUG & KISS Goodbye.

• May 7, 2019 at 6:37 pm #12241
      Participant

… is there a favorite stop to kiss your wife goodbye or will any stop do?

Squire

• May 5, 2019 at 7:59 am #12186
    Participant

Refueling question: Will be riding a trike(SR)(FNG?) for the first time on the run, just wondering if trikes are always the last ones to refuel? Do they enough time to use bathroom n hydrate at the hydration trailer? How many trike platoons on SR?

Tony- La konexion

FNG 2013 SR

ATW 2015-2016 CR

• May 7, 2019 at 6:33 pm #12240
      Participant

… 

Squire

• May 5, 2019 at 12:54 pm #12192
    Diann McKeeDiann McKee
    Keymaster

Tony,

We have close to 90 trikes & spiders ,with or without trailers, plus the bikes w/trailers.   Needless to say, we will have numerous platoons.   All the leaderships have been diligently working on the issue of time at the fuel stops for the ever growing trike/spyder platoons.   We will do our best to get everyone fueled & have a short (albeit sometimes very short) break.    See you soon!

Diann

Diann "Mojo" McKee
    Director of Risk Management

• May 5, 2019 at 5:20 pm #12197
    Participant

Thanks for the response, Mojo.  Guess in the near future trike/spider platoons will increase due to a lot of us getting older, lol.  Make sure you’ll take an extra battery for your key.  Mine went out during the run n had no idea why bike wouldn’t start. Will see everybody in Monroe. Ride safe

• May 7, 2019 at 6:53 am #12223
    Participant

I used to keep my money in my vest… but then… in the rain… I would have to open up my raingear to try and dig out the money in the vest pocket!  Now I keep my cash for fuel in a fanny pack that I have on my waist in front of my belt buckle.  Since I have a keyed fuel cap (same as ignition), I put my spare key on a retractor (think school janitor… most hardware store sell these in the key department) that is on the fanny pack belt so that I don’t have to take my ignition key out (and potentially drop it on my hot pipes)… the retractor isn’t strong enough to hold the fuel cap… but it keeps it handy on top of the fanny pack while fueling.

• May 7, 2019 at 7:00 am #12225
      Participant

BTW… the retracter wasn’t my idea… someone else posted that idea 2 years ago when I was an FNG… don’t know who it was… but thank you!  (I’ve watched other riders on RFTW drop their keys on their pipes and the Fuel Team guy had the task of fishing them out!)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Topic Tags