• January 29, 2019 at 4:56 am #10699
    Participant

I was thinking about joining the ride in Wentzville Mo this year. I was thinking about camping instead of spending the money for motels. Just wondering if anyone had any information on the camping spots and if that would be a good idea.

Thanks

• January 29, 2019 at 6:58 am #10700
    RUCKSACKRUCKSACK
    Participant

ChrisB, I’m on my tenth ride this year and I’ve always camped. It’s a great experience with an awesome group of people. I’m on the Southern Route but I am sure the campers on other routes are almost as awesome. 😂 I quit using a tent two years ago, because our accommodations are usually covered and a few are actually inside a building. Showers are also provided. Hope this helped a little.

Mark "RUCKSACK" Merrick

• January 29, 2019 at 8:33 am #10701
    Participant

Thank you for the information Mark. I was wondering if there was anyone that had camped on the central route that could tell what the campsites were like (Between Wentzville Mo and Arlington). Checking to see if if I would need a tent or if they were covered or inside. Any information would be appreciated.

• January 29, 2019 at 5:43 pm #10703
    Wally GatorWally Gator
    Participant

Hi Chrisblock

Welcome to the run my wife and I  have camped every time for the pass 5 year on the Central route .  From Wentzville to Arlington the camp grounds are really nice all have shower  if that’s what you wanted to know.  The first year we did a tent the next 4 time is in a popup tent trailer. You will need a tent from Wentzville the next stop in Corydon has a place that is covered horse stables from there no more cover

Retired city employee
    USN 76 to 80 USS Raleigh LPD 1
    USNR 80 to 89 USS Duncan FFG

ATW 14,16,17.18 Tail gunner 17,18

• January 29, 2019 at 5:49 pm #10704
    Participant

Thank you for the information. It’s greatly Appreciated

• February 8, 2019 at 10:21 am #10793
    Participant

Does anyone have any recommendations for a tent. I ride an HD ultra classic and I probably will need to pack it either in the passenger seat or on the tour pak rack. Don’t really want to get a lot of money wrapped up in one but I would like one that is easy to setup and that is waterproof. The 2 person dome tents seem to be about the best option.

• February 8, 2019 at 11:54 am #10794
    PostPost
    Participant

Chris

I remember the research I did regarding tents and gear on my FNG year.  I can’t even imagine how many hours I spent looking for the best, smallest packing, cheapest gear that I can carry upon a motorcycle.  However I settled on a 1 person tent (Alps Mountaineer Lynx 1 person), however lacked the extra space needed for gear but an awesome tent.  I will be packing for those just in case moments a very small packing size tent (link below).  Keep in mind packing size (as your aware, we have limited space), weight (lighter the better), and if want a normal tent (usually larger pack size, heavier) or backpacking tent (which I think is better for motorcycles as smaller packing).   Definitely suggest though getting a floor saver or utilize a tarp between the earth and your tent, protecting tent.

Below is a good cheap, small packing tent either 1 or 2 person I will be carrying with me this year (if you use Amazon, friendly reminder to use https://smile.amazon.com and Support Run for the Wall, as proceeds of any purchase go to RFTW)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HH1WRBP/?coliid=IMQMKP2X1BM1G&colid=P0X00KVT7MXL&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Below, I have the 1 person version of this tent and love it.

https://www.amazon.com/ALPS-Mountaineering-Lynx-2-Person-Tent-x/dp/B008J4AZSQ

Hope this may help

Steven "Post" Boyd
    USMC Veteran 1994-2002
    RFTW Midway Route (FNG '17, Top Platoon '17, Road Guard '18/'19)
    S. NV PGR ('16-present, RoadGuard '17-present)

• February 8, 2019 at 1:42 pm #10795
    YukonYukon
    Participant

Unless you’re going to make a habit of camping on the bike, no point in spending a bunch of money on a tent. Especially if many of the places are going to be indoors. Pretty much any tent is going to get you through the week. Then if you decide you like it, you can take the experience you gained and decide what features you need.

And do yourself a favor, get a 2 person tent. I’m all for packing small, but I also like to be able to turn over and sit up. If you’re getting a 1 person, you may as well just get a bivvy sack lol

Also, if you’re going to spend some cash, make it on your sleeping pad. Nothing will make or break a night of sleep quicker than a good/bad pad.

2019 FNG - Central Route
    Operations Manager - Motorcycle Relief Project
    www.motorelief.org
    Sergeant at Arms - ALR Post 2008, Falcon CO

• February 9, 2019 at 10:13 am #10805
    Participant

Thank you

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Topic Tags