• December 24, 2018 at 10:05 pm #10324
    Participant

Hey everyone, I will be an FNG in 2019.  Looking for some info on campsites along the route. Not sure if I will register for Midway or Southern Route.  Are campsites primitive or will we have some facilities?

• December 25, 2018 at 6:29 am #10325
    Participant

I am interested as well..

Participant 2008
    All the way 2009
    Vietnam Vet 67-68

• December 25, 2018 at 10:19 am #10326
    Participant

What route you taking Big Tom?

• December 27, 2018 at 5:17 pm #10331
    PostPost
    Participant

Hello,

I included a link to Midway routes 2018 itinerary, in it includes camping locations by day.   Note this is 2018s itinerary but will give you an idea of campsites available along the way.  Normally itineraries are released in January, so you shall see 2019s very shortly.

As far as camping, normally anything other then a KOA or similar you will see is offered by a Church or a VFW.   These locations (Church, VFW, etc) are normally donated and offer a place to stay at a minimal to no cost just simply out of the kindness of their hearts and for our riders.   KOA and similar will be equipped for your normal camping needs.  On the other hand Churches and VFWs will have your basic needs, most have showers restrooms and such.  hope this may give you a little more detail then you had before.

https://rftw.us/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/18mr-Itinerary.pdf (pages 18-20)

Steven "Post" Boyd
    USMC Veteran 1994-2002
    FNG Midway Route 2017, Top Platoon 2017
    Midway Route Road Guard 2018
    Southern NV PGR 2016-present
    Southern NV PGR RoadGuard 2017-2018

• December 28, 2018 at 11:51 am #10332
    Wally GatorWally Gator
    Participant

Hello ChuckGuam

My wife and I were FNG’S in 2014 on the central route and camped most of the way across had to stay in a hotel couple of location  because of weather.  This will be are 5th trip ATW camping popup tent trail ( Trailer trash Platoon).  When you get to Calif if you are going all the way there will be someone that will help you along the way that is camping also most of the stop have everything you will need, if not at the site you are camping at, they will have shower at another location just ask someone.  Also if you are not hauling a trailer behind you pack you motorcycle unpack your motorcycle and pack it again keep taking something out every time  that you don’t need remember the basic tooth brush & soap.  This is how we do it packing  for 4 day pants and shirt, wear them for two or three days at a time socks and skivvies 7 pairs 1 pair of extra shoes just in case one get wet remember there is a Walmart just about everywhere we go if you need something. Some has posted a list of thing you need but if you pack that on your motorcycle you won’t have any room for you lol.   Just keep asking question that’s the best way some of these guy can steer you in  the right direction.

Retired city employee
    USN 76 to 80 USS Raleigh LPD 1
    USNR 80 to 89 USS Duncan FFG

ATW 14,16,17.18 Tail gunner 17,18

• December 30, 2018 at 6:49 pm #10342
    Participant

I was an FNG in 2017 and camped 2 nights in a row and then a motel stop… then repeat.  (I started in Williams, AZ, so didn’t camp in California, but I understand from other RFTW participants that Prado Park is a good place to camp.) The camping at the Arlington Assembly of God in DC was outstanding… large tree covered grassy area, a lounge area was set up for the riders and dinner each night!!  (Shower facilities were 1st come, 1st serve, but the wait wasn’t that long.)  Some camping requires reservations, others do not.  Check the itinerary carefully.  I carried everything on the motorcycle (V-Star 1100) and was pretty overloaded… I will be going all the way pulling a Bushtec Turbo with a Roadliner this year and plan to camp every night.  The one night that I planned to camp in Eagles Nest, snow was forecast and another rider shared his cabin with me… woke up with an inch of snow on the cover of the motorcycle!  Some camping in parks have ramadas to put your tent under so you can keep somewhat dryer.  Most importantly… get setup right after dinner and get as much rest as you can… be prepared to be up at 4:30a some mornings so that you can pack up and get to the staging area in time for the briefings.  As an FNG, you will be amazed, bewildered and wanting it to never end!

• January 1, 2019 at 1:07 pm #10360
    imjrnokcimjrnokc
    Participant

Year 3, I’m thinking about camping I did hotels the last 2 and need to cut down on the budget.  I did review the just released MWR itinerary and it doesn’t have camping locals at every layover.  I’m sure KOA and other places are available.  I did follow a packing scheme last year offered up by someone who rode before but that was way too much gear.  Here is my pack for 2019; tent, sleeping bag, 3 changes of cloths (wash every 3rd day), leathers, rain gear, cold weather gear, boots, hat, & shaving kit (toothbrush etc.).  Fuses for the bike, tire repair kit, portable air pump, and small tool kit.  I also print out segment route maps (in case GPS isn’t available and I get separated from the pack, good to have).  Last year I spent a lot of time calculating fuel costs between stops and stuffing fuel stop money into labeled baggies, not gonna do that this year,  I’ll just keep enough cash in $1 bills in my pocket for each days fueling stops if needed.  I am curious if others on the MWR will be camping and if they have their favorite overnight campsites along the way?  Please let us all know your experiences.  ATW 2019.

Jerry R.

USN 1969-72

Tokin Gulf Yacht Club 71-72

USS Rathburne FF1057

Gerald Richerson
    U.S. Navy 69-72
    USS Rathburne DE-1057

• January 1, 2019 at 1:13 pm #10361
    Participant

I am trying to put together this ride for this year. It will be my first time. I am thinking about camping each night to save cost. I ride a 2018 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail. any ideas of to carry a bed and some sort of tent on this bike?

• January 1, 2019 at 2:03 pm #10362
    CH54CH54
    Participant

I am planning on camping most of the way on the Central route but I do have a room at the Ontario Gateway (host) on Monday and Tuesday nights. I’m also planning to get a room at the Angel Fire resort on Friday (waiting on a callback) if any of you campers are interested in splitting a couple rooms.

CR ATW 13,14,15. Participant 16, ATW 17, Participant18.

• January 2, 2019 at 1:44 pm #10375
      CH54CH54
      Participant

Just got the call, I have a 2 bed room at Angel Fire.

• February 4, 2019 at 9:31 pm #10748
      Participant

Howdy Ronoster7, I’m a FNG for the 2019 RFTW. But, I rode a bunch on an 47 HD Nuck, a couple of super glides.. I always tight wrapped a sleeping bag and put it in a H2Oproof bag and bungied it on the front fender and across the forks( or the springer on the 47). carried a 3 person dome tent bungied  to the backrest straight up and down. Still had room for a small duffle behind the back rest with the tent, and used a fairly large pack on the back seat, also bungied to the passenger back rest, and used it for a drivers backrest. that still left me both saddle bags for a tool set, rain gear etc and so forth. Anything in your pack needs to be rolled tight and put in various ziploks in case of rain. Don’t know how your scoot is set up but if you got the driving/fog  lights and that made a great place for my leather jacket rolled up and once again bungied on.  Hope this helps a bit.  Invest in a bunch of GOOD bungees assorted sizes and a few spares.   I’m on a Wing Trike pulling a bunkhouse. Body got tired of ground camping. Hope to Cya I’m enlisting at Grand Prairie, TX for the Southern route. Your brother FNG Larry “Mayday” Murph

• January 1, 2019 at 5:54 pm #10369
    Participant

ronoster7… think about packing like you would for a backpacking trip… lightweight 2 man tent, Thermorest pad for a bed… lightweight (but warm) sleeping bag with a fleece liner.  Check out your local backpacking outfitter for gear.  I bought a “dry bag” that I could get my gear in and then strapped it on the rack attached to my passenger backrest.  Don’t rely on bungees… use straps that you can cinch down.  (I dragged a bungee through Cimarron Canyon that came loose just after leaving Angel Fire).  Throw in an extra tarp (my tent sprung a leak in Gallup and I was glad to have the tarp on the tent the rest of the trip).  I still was overloaded.  This year I’m doing the trailer “thing”.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • January 2, 2019 at 9:56 pm #10378
    Participant

I will be a FNG traveling the Central route joining in Goodland KS… I plan on camping the entire time except for when in DC… I am loving hearing the camping and packing tips… I ride a 2018 Street Bob so space is very limited…. Any other Central Campers?

• January 3, 2019 at 7:17 am #10386
    Participant

SUPERDAVE… hopefully you have saddlebags on your Street Bob… if not, this should be your first addition.  Also… you will need to figure out how to load your motorcycle so that the gear is SECURE and doesn’t adversely affect the handling of the motorcycle.  Keep in mind that going into and out of fuel stops that you will need to have control at low speeds (without your feet on the ground).

• January 3, 2019 at 8:20 am #10387
      Participant

Thank you Steve, I do have a few ideas of how I am going to load her up, In the next few months I will certainly be trying different setups and seeing what works best… I am thinking tent, bed roll and sleeping bag on the luggage rack behind my sissy bar and my oversized backpack strapped to my sissy bar facing forward on my 2up seat… I wanted to check throw over saddle bags and also a small tank bag for singles and paper work etc… I am used to hiking and hunting with minimal gear so I am trying to treat this like a backpacking trip minus the cooking stuff 😉

• January 3, 2019 at 3:17 pm #10403
    Wally GatorWally Gator
    Participant

Don’t forget Walmart in every city

Retired city employee

• January 4, 2019 at 7:49 am #10407
    CH54CH54
    Participant

In addition to the 2 hotels listed above I got a room at the Quality Inn in Lewisburg. 2 beds if someone wants to split.

• January 9, 2019 at 6:38 am #10472
    CH54CH54
    Participant

Something you may want to practice is tear down. I will spend the night in the back yard several time in the weeks prior to the Run. I’ll get to where I can have the bike loaded about 20-25 minutes after I roll out of the sleeping bag. Do it in the dark because usually in the states that use DST that’s what happens. A headlamp helps a lot.

• January 9, 2019 at 11:20 am #10476
    Participant

What route you taking Big Tom?

Southern. My trip hinges on the result of my back surgery in Feb.

Participant 2008
    All the way 2009
    Vietnam Vet 67-68

• January 9, 2019 at 4:40 pm #10489
    Participant

I agree with CH54 that tear down in the morning is time consuming… what is even more time consuming is getting everything lashed down securely on the motorcycle!  That’s why I’m hoping that pulling the cargo trailer will speed up the process.  Most nights I would end up pulling EVERYTHING off the motorcycle (except what was in the saddlebags) and then having to strap it all down again… I’ve used the trailer on one trip and it was a joy to be able to simply put stuff in the trailer and close the lid!  I know that my tear down and strapping down took way too long in 2017… but it was important to me to get things as small as possible and putting everything into compression bags took time and energy!  Hopefully this year will be a lot simpler!

• January 9, 2019 at 9:03 pm #10495
    CH54CH54
    Participant

Hey Steve you’re from Williams. I see the camping is listed at  the American Legion.  I don’t remember a lot of space there and a bit of a slope to the front lawn. Sounds like we don’t get to use the middle school. Any thoughts?

• January 10, 2019 at 10:47 am #10499
    Participant

CH54 (and everyone else)… I checked with the Arizona State Coordinator who confirmed that the school was giving us a bunch of BS and wanting more money.  I checked with my Pastor and the head of the Trustees (my wife) and have gotten permission to have RFTW participants camp at Community UMC at 127 W. Sherman (2nd Street and Sherman)… just a couple of blocks from the American Legion.  There is lawn both in the front and the back of the church… no shower (sorry)… but the building can be left open for access to the bathrooms.  If it snows, there is room inside to roll out sleeping bags.  There is a Bible Study on Wednesday nights that meets in the Fellowship Hall from 6P-8:30P (they have a light supper beforehand… but I’m guessing everyone will want to chow down at the American Legion)…but there shouldn’t be a conflict.  The motorcycles can park on the pavement on the street on both Sherman and 2nd Street… or they can brave the gravel parking lot.  There is no charge… donations accepted.  And… I’ll have coffee made in the morning before you head over the Wild West Junction for Breakfast!  Thanks for asking about another option for camping in Williams, AZ!!  Is is May, yet?

• January 10, 2019 at 1:32 pm #10505
    CH54CH54
    Participant

Sounds great Steve, thanks. I sent you a message on FB messenger.

• January 26, 2019 at 6:20 am #10676
    CH54CH54
    Participant

May be obvious but dry bags to keep your gear dry are important. My tent, sleeping bag, and thermarest are all packed in dry bags. Wet sleeping bag is no fun.

• February 6, 2019 at 3:12 pm #10764
    YukonYukon
    Participant

FNG here, taking the central route ALL THE WAY! Will be jumping on the camp and get a room every couple nights bandwagon. Experienced motorcycle traveler/camper.

Good to know some places are inside and you can just throw out your bed roll.

Look forward to riding with y’all!

2019 FNG - Central Route
    Operations Manager - Motorcycle Relief Project
    www.motorelief.org
    Sergeant at Arms - ALR Post 2008, Falcon CO

• February 6, 2019 at 3:39 pm #10769
    YukonYukon
    Participant

Any stops you would NOT recommend camping? Looks like the NM stop is one, given the dicey weather

2019 FNG - Central Route
    www.motorelief.org

• February 6, 2019 at 4:09 pm #10771
    Participant

Yukon… I planned to camp 2 nights, motel 1 night (repeat) in 2017.  I was going to camp in Eagles Nest, but snow was forecast and I was invited to stay with another rider in a cabin (which I gladly accepted).  My understanding is that the people that camped in Eagles Nest that year ended up sleeping in the rec hall at the RV park.  Woke up to an inch of snow on the motorcycle cover and the thickest fog you’ve ever seen!  Anyway… I plan to camp all the way… but am planning to take a Little Buddy heater for inside the tent (I’m pulling a trailer, so I have some extra room).  The problem is that it will be hard to get a motel in Eagle’s Nest… I stayed at the Angel Fire Lodge last year… a little pricey… and I made my reservation in mid-January and I think I got the last room.  I saw a post that someone might have a spare bed in a room at the Lodge, but I don’t know it it’s still available.  Hard to say if you should plan to camp or not when in Eagle’s Nest.  I started in Williams, AZ both 2017 and 2018… camped at Gallup in 2017 (some rain), Junction City, Wentzville, Corydon, and DC.  All were good… the others I moteled.  Will be doing Prado Park in Ontario.  In Williams (where I live) I’ve been able to get the UMC to let campers use the grounds… and… if it is snowing (like it has done in the past)… I will open up the Fellowship Hall.  Goodland looks good at the Tech School… I moteled it there last time, but the location looked good.  Most people camped at the Fairgrounds in Corydon under a big metal canopy… I went to the RV park that was on the list that year and it was OK… but they “lost” my reservation… I ended up camping in a gazebo!  Hurricane is back at the Water Park and I hear that’s a good one.  Lewisburg is at the Fairgrounds and the only disparaging thing I heard was that the bathrooms were dirty (oh well).  The camping in DC at the Assembly of God Church is awesome… the shower situation is a little “strange”… but it works… and… they had a dinner there every night we were there in 2017 and they set up an outside lounge for us!  I think you will enjoy camping… the set up/take down takes a little more time than moteling it… but keep it simple and you should be OK.  Make sure you will be comfortable enough to get some good rest… you will need it.  I “tapped out” one day simply  because I was exhausted and when I went over the zipper the third time, I knew I needed to go to the back of the pack.  OK… this message is too long… but I look forward to meeting you.  There are several other people from the Colorado Springs area that I have met on the RFTW that you might already know.  Is it May, yet?

• February 6, 2019 at 4:14 pm #10772
    YukonYukon
    Participant

Thanks Steve! Great info!

Thankfully I’m used to “camping” in Iron Butt Motels (Sleeping on a picnic table at a rest stop) so I can sleep pretty much anywhere.

Looking at rooms in Angel Fire now. Prices aren’t too bad and they have a pretty liberal cancellation policy, so I think I’ll book a couple while I flush out my plan.

Based on your info, I will likely plan on camping the rest of the trip. THANKS!

2019 FNG - Central Route
    www.motorelief.org

• February 6, 2019 at 6:54 pm #10776
    Wally GatorWally Gator
    Participant

Yukon

This will be are 5th time camping on the central route there are only two stops that don’t have showers Junction City and Williams at Junction City you can go to the truck stop about a mile away from the park  cost you 5 bucks to  shower and in Williams nothing.  Some body has always booked to or three room in Eagles Nest they will be asking at the morning meet in Williams or Gallup. I am one of the Trail Gunner for the Bikes with Trailer will have about 25 to 30 camping every night  look forward to meet you see you in May

Retired city employee

• February 7, 2019 at 6:20 am #10779
    Participant

Wally Gator (and Yukon)… actually there is now a Love’s Truck Stop in Williams that is on the north side of I-40 (only a mile from the UMC where we will be camping) which has showers.  Again… they will be “pay for” showers.  I will check with them to see what the cost will be.

• February 7, 2019 at 6:28 am #10780
    Participant

BTW… Wally Gator… I will be in the bikes with trailer platoon for the first time this year… I was in 4th Platoon in 2017 and 8th Platoon (so that I could ride with a friend of mine) in 2018.

• February 7, 2019 at 9:01 am #10784
    Wally GatorWally Gator
    Participant

Hi Steve

We will be glad to have you in the platoon we have a great group of riders in platoon 10 we do a lot of breakaways during the run we get to see more that the other rider do.  That’s great that the truck stop will let us use the showers even if they cost something the one in Junction City was free but they sold the truck stop and the new owner said no more so we do pay for it there

Retired city employee

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.