• April 11, 2019 at 9:12 am #11719
      TowedjumperTowedjumper
      Participant

I’m new here and the biggest downside I had last year was trying to get a feel for the run for the wall while it was going on.  I could see the Scout tracks and that was really cool but it wasn’t really telling me any of the story about the routes each day.  While I plan to try to do some blogging on the route with a few write-ups, I wanted to point out an app for cell phones that others on run for the wall might consider using and I hope we could get at least one from each of the other routes to use it.  There is a free version of the app and its limitations don’t seem to be significant.

https://www.relive.cc/

This application is one that you start at the beginning of the trip and just let it run.  It auto pauses when you stop somewhere and you can take pictures (up to 10) and upload them into the app, and at the end it will give you a video of your trip.  Check the link below for an example I did of a family trip to the mining ghost town of Bodie, CA this last winter.

https://www.relive.cc/view/rt10002266424  (I can’t create a link in this post because Google Chrome freaks out.  Sorry.  Copy and paste it I guess).

Its current downsides are: Photo slide duration is too short (1-2 sec) and need to be able to insert more pictures (10 is really too small.  Need at least 20 I would think).  But it would be great to do one of these for each leg of the day so at the end of the day you just hit finish and it creates a video of that leg for you.  Blogging and video on the go.

Regardless, if you have friends or family that can’t go (or you can’t either), check back here for a video of each day of my submissions for RFTW each day on the central route.  I wanted to post this here to get people thinking about it and some hands on before we head out.

If you have other alternative apps or methods let me know, I am always interested in other options, especially if they resolve some of the issues I listed above for the app.

Dennis Aston (Miles)
      US Army, 82nd Airborne Division
      11C1P, B Co, 3/504 PIR (94-97)

2019 FNG - Central Route

• April 11, 2019 at 9:17 am #11720
      TowedjumperTowedjumper
      Participant

Before I get a lot of comments, my main focus on this trip is the ride first (ride safety) and then taking pictures at stops and enjoying things along the way.  I’ve heard it said that if you get to the end of the run and you’ve seen the scenery along the way you’re doing it wrong so thats my expectation.  I know a SR road guard personally and have gotten the safety first “pay attention to the ride” message before and agree with it.

As I mentioned in this post, this app is a start it and forget it kind of app.  You don’t mess with it while driving.  You CAN, but there isn’t much that it will do for you on the way, its more of a stop, take pictures and then start again kind of thing.

2019 FNG - Central Route

• April 11, 2019 at 1:24 pm #11727
        SuperDaveSuperDave
        Participant

Dennis Thank you, It looks awesome and i will most certainly give it a shot! I can not wait…

Thank you,

Dave

2019 FNG Central Route

• April 11, 2019 at 12:34 pm #11726
      YukonYukon
      Participant

Will check it out; thanks!

2019 FNG - Central Route
      Operations Manager - Motorcycle Relief Project
      www.motorelief.org
      Sergeant at Arms - ALR Post 2008, Falcon CO

• April 11, 2019 at 1:31 pm #11728
      SuperDaveSuperDave
      Participant

Side not for anyone on Instagram i have created an Instagram account just for the purpose of documenting the Run for the Wall, and to raise awareness if anyone wants to follow the account is @Dave_RFTW  These routes and images will be the perfect things to share every evening on the run…

• April 14, 2019 at 8:49 am #11743
      NavigatorNavigator
      Participant

Thanks for the tip Dennis.

Starting in 2016, I’ve been writing a daily blog with photos and video on the Central route.

I plan on doing it again this year also. If you have friends or family that might be interested in following along, please have them send me an email at [email protected] and I’ll be sure to send them an invite to the blog.  They will get an email notification as each new blog post is uploaded.  Here’s last years blog if you’re interested.

https://freedomridersdotblog.wordpress.com

Bruce Bartolomeo  “Navigator”
      2014 CR ATW FNG 3rd PLT
      2016 / 17 CR ATW  Asst. PLT Leader – 3rd PLT
      2018 /19 CR ATW  PLT Leader – 5th PLT

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.