DC traffic

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Bearcat
      Participant

I’ve spent the last 3 days driving in & around Waashington DC and OMG!!!  If you get there this RFTW be sure and give your Roads Guards a BIG THANK YOU!!!!!  In 55 + years of driving I have NEVER experienced ANYTHING like the madness that is “commuting” in DC.  I most CERTAINLY have a new RESPECT for what our Road Guards do to keep our Mission safe!!!!!

Ride Safe, Ride Often!!
      Viet Nam 70-71
      US Army (Ret 1993)
      CR Participant 2014 & 2015 & 2019
      CR ATW 2016, CR ATW 2017, CR ATW 2018
      AZ PGR
      AZ ALR Post 108, Prescott Valley, AZ

U Turn
      Participant

Yep… getting into DC is probably the highlight of the Run… we ride in traffic like I’ve never experienced anywhere else!  The 9 days leading up to DC are truly “practice” for that last auspicious day.  But… by the time we get there, we’ve gotten to know most everyone in our platoon, and have learned to trust our Platoon Leaders and Tailgunners.  Practice your panic stops… you will probably do one at least once.  But… I was amazed how we all worked together as a team on that last leg… and I especially remember our Tailgunner yelling at us from the back (as we sat there amazed that our tires were only inches apart after one of those “quick” stops)… ‘GET YOUR HEAD BACK IN THE GAME!”  Thanks, Chief!

U Turn
      Participant

Oh… BTW… Staging would appreciate if you don’t practice your “panic stops” when rejoining your platoon in the morning and during fuel stops!

VAFish
      Participant

Be careful coming in on I-66.   Construction almost the whole way from Manassas to the Beltway.  About 10 miles of lane shifts, potholes, Jersey barriers, trucks entering and leaving the interstate.

US Army 1982-1989 Signal Corps
      RFTW 2016 FNG 2nd Platoon Central Route
      RFTW 2017 Participant 2nd Platoon Central Route

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.