• April 5, 2017 at 8:54 am #4683
    pablothemanpablotheman
    Participant

Looks like I’ve traded my 2010 Street Glide for a 2017 Electra Glide Ultra Classic as of yesterday (4/4/17). I normally don’t do the helmet thing in Arizona which so far has worked out as I have over 221K miles of riding. Part of the freebies with the purchase is a new helmet but as I was bantering with the dealer he told me I’d want a helmet for this run (I know it’s required) as there was always a lot of accidents and to watch the people I’m riding with. Even though the mission is bigger than me, that talk makes me nervous about my new bike. Still plan to go but I’d like some feedback on accidents. As for me my ego says I won’t be the cause of any. By the way, I’m still looking for a roommate or a couple to share the hotel, preferably from Albuquerque through 2 days in DC. Cost would be the same whether you are single or a couple, 50% of the total bill.

• April 5, 2017 at 8:56 am #4684
    pablothemanpablotheman
    Participant

Oh, by the way, in case you haven’t figured it out, I will be riding on the Midway Route.

• April 5, 2017 at 11:24 am #4686
    Participant

I would saw your dealer is mistaken, as any large ride, the possibility of an accident is always present. But to say there has been a lot of accidents, no.

• April 5, 2017 at 12:06 pm #4690
    CynderCynder
    Participant

Get to know your new machine.  Get used to wearing the helmet.  Practice slow maneuvers in a parking lot.  Learn to turn your bike without walking it in 2-3 parking spaces width.  Learn to use clutch and rear brake for slow maneuvering.  Driving 200-300 bikes through a service station gets a little crowded.

Not sure how “lots of accidents” got to be the word, but safety is our first concern.  We keep the rider’s health in the first and foremost thoughts of our day.  Hydration is #1.  Alertness up there too.  We ride differently than your weekend romp. Take time to take it in.  After the first couple days, things will start to click and you will feel more comfortable with riding with new friends.

Welcome home.

Mary "Cynder" Melick
    Central Route
    Road Guard 2017, 2018
    Participant 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2018
    All The Way 2016, 2017
    Fuel Team 2014, 2015
    Tail Gunner, Platoon 5 Wentzville east 2016
    2018 Harley Ultra Limited "Rebel Heart"

• April 5, 2017 at 12:46 pm #4691
    Participant

Be careful going under overpasses where folks are waving Flags. If the procession slows while you are looking up and waving you may not stop in time. Saw that in 2009.

2008 we got hit with hail and quite a few bikes went down.

All on the Southern Route..

Participant 2008
    All the way 2009
    Vietnam Vet 67-68

• April 5, 2017 at 7:35 pm #4698
    GonzoGonzo
    Participant

I’ve done – and continue to do – lots of group riding with various groups.  RFTW is BY FAR the safest group I’ve ever ridden with.  Learn your bike like the back of your hand, follow directions, ride the RFTW way, and you will be good.

Road Guard - Southern Route
    --------------------------
    Operation Iraqi Freedom
    CVMA Chapter 6-3

• April 6, 2017 at 8:49 am #4705
    Participant

Not a lot of accidents now that we have a hydration team……..pay attention and follow direction and you will be OK.  Helmet is required.

US Army 1967-1992
    E-1 to E-5
    0-1 to 0-5
    Two wars and one drug chase........
    Central Route, Southern Route and Midway Route

• April 6, 2017 at 10:08 am #4707
    CynderCynder
    Participant

I definitely have to agree with Gonzo.  I am much more comfortable riding RFTW way than any other.  My husband and I ride side by side 80-90% of the time.  It is a comfort zone for me now.  Took some getting used to, but prefer it.

If you can, take an advanced riding course of some sort with your new bike.  Ride Like a Pro is a great out let.  MSF also offers an advanced class.

Mary "Cynder" Melick
    Central Route
    Road Guard 2017, 2018
    All The Way 2016, 2017
    Fuel Team 2014, 2015

• April 6, 2017 at 12:50 pm #4710
    VAFishVAFish
    Participant

How many RFTW rides has your dealer done?  Which routes and how many accidents did he witness?

I heard there was an accident on the Central Route last year, but since I didn’t go ATW I didn’t witness it.

I did see one rider in the ditch as we left Rainelle, WV individually.  The road curved and he didn’t, he went off the pavement and came to a stop in the muddy ditch.  He didn’t even fall off the bike.  Several of us stopped to help push the bike out.  Some ride leadership came up and said ride rules if you go down you go to the hospital.  The guy went, got checked out and was back on the ride the next day.

If you think about it, there are about 300 riders per route, and 2,500 miles or more.  That’s 780,000 miles of riding.  How many accidents would you expect to have in that many miles of normal motorcycle riding?

US Army 1982-1989 Signal Corps
    RFTW 2016 FNG 2nd Platoon Central Route
    RFTW 2017 Participant 2nd Platoon Central Route

• April 6, 2017 at 4:47 pm #4711
    Pretty BoyPretty Boy
    Keymaster

Motorcycling riding can by its nature somewhat dangerous. That being said, I have seen it all. Every small mishap, and tipping over in a parking lot, can almost always be attributed to Rider/Driver Error.

Any attitudes of “I have been riding for 20+ years, etc,” should be left at home, and I know how to ride, etc. Not saying anyone here has that sentiment. However, it seriously comes down to training, and practice. If you have never taken an advanced riders course like MSF, or Ride Like a Pro, you are doing yourself a dis-service. Our Road Guards are REQUIRED to take Advanced Riding skills courses. Courses teach you how to brake safely, quickly, and get out of a jam, if you have to. If you SLOW Ride in a gas station with your feet dragging, and not on the pegs or floor boards… you should take a class. Anyone can go 60 MPH in a straight line, its when a car does not see you, etc, or you need to go into avoid and defense mode, is when you have to react.

RFTW offers both side-by-side and staggered platoons on all routes. In my humble opinion, I think the side-by-sides tend to be smaller, and easier to ride in. We will not dive into other opinions on this. If something does happen, it will almost always happen in front of you, not beside you.

Be aware of the rubberband effect a 3 mile train of bikes has on the rear. Serious slow downs such as choking to one lane due to construction, should make you be extra aware… A slow down IS coming.

I practically “bang handle bars” with my fellow RFTW riders and road guards, cause we trust each other. You will find that this run will make you a better rider.

We have had people practically fall asleep while riding. This is what your Road Guards are for. We watch and monitor to get everyone safely from CA to DC.

Don’t be afraid. Many of us have been doing this for years, and years. You will have a great time, and a great ride, if you prepare yourself, get plenty of sleep, hydrate, practice, and speak up if you don’t feel well. You can always tap out, if you’re not OK, for whatever reason. We’ve had Route Coordinators put their bikes on a trailer, and ride in a truck for a 1/2 day cause they did not feel well.

Have a great run! And see you in CA and DC.

Kirk "Pretty Boy" Olson
    Route Road Guard Captain - Central Route
    Central Route Road Guard - 2010-2019

Participant 2009, 2015 | All the Way 2010-2014, 2016-2020
    2012 BMW K1600GT

• April 6, 2017 at 7:04 pm #4715
    Participant

As said above, yes there have been accidents in the past. Though there are circumstances that are, for the most part, unavoidable- like weather and debris (someone’s gear fell off in front of you). Many accidents in the past were caused by rider in attentiveness or carelessness.

When riding in ANY platoon there is no need to crank it up to 80 mph just to have to slow to 40 in 1/2 mile. Practice slow acceleration and engine deceleration skills without using your brakes.

A point that I have not seen in any thread yet: if you witness or hear of an accident on the Run, DO NOT POST IT OR ABOUT IT ON SOCIAL MEDIA! Many families and friends learn or your journey that way. Leadership will notify families if there is an issue. It should not come from participants.

Tom Wistrand

“Ziptie”

Midway Rear Road Guard

• April 6, 2017 at 7:26 pm #4716
    VAFishVAFish
    Participant

And my math was wrong,  I only gave the mileage for one route.

300 riders per route, three routes, over 2500 miles on each route is 2,250,000 bike miles ridden.

US Army 1982-1989 Signal Corps
    RFTW 2016 FNG 2nd Platoon Central Route
    RFTW 2017 Participant 2nd Platoon Central Route

• April 6, 2017 at 8:41 pm #4717
    pablothemanpablotheman
    Participant

To All,

Thanks for all the feedback so far – I’m considerably less nervous.

I chose a full faced helmet as my freebie with the new bike because they cost more even though I’d rather ride with a half helmet. I have taken MSF advanced courses in the past but never with this particular bike. An Electra Glide Ultra Classic handles differently (not as nimble) as the Street Glide I traded in for it or my old Fatboy. I should consider taking another class if I have the time in the next 40 days. I’ll also need to bite the bullet and ride with the helmet to get used to it before the run.

As far as the choice of a staggered or side by side platoon, does anyone know if it would be possible to start in a staggered platoon and then switch to side by side once I become more comfortable within the group?

Paul Hurst

US Navy EM2, 1977-1983

• April 6, 2017 at 9:34 pm #4718
    DocDoc
    Participant

Pablo,

For the last three years, the Midway Route, FNGs have been required to ride in the staggered platoons for the first three days before being considered for movement to a side-by-side platoon. Of course, that can change, but one of the reasons for this is to give the FNG time to become comfortable with the tight RFTW formation.

Understand that on an RFTW run, even the staggered platoons ride tighter than probably any group you’ve ridden with. HOG, Patriot Guard, etc. And, we do it for a 100 miles at a time.

Based on what you’ve shared, up to this point, you’ve done all the right things to prepare yourself. Just be sure your slow riding skills, u-turns, etc. are up to par with the new bike, and you’ll be ready.

I invite you to come ride with me in Platoon 4, but regardless of which Platoon you end up in, introduce yourself to the Tailgunners, and we’ll take care of you. After a couple of days if you wish to move to a side-by-side platoon, your request will be considered by the platoon leadership. That being said, I’ve found that once most riders become comfortable with the other riders in their platoon, they want to stay there.

Pablo, welcome to The Run. You are in for an amazing experience. Come look me up in Ontario, or wherever you join us.

Is it May yet?

Doc

USAF 70 - 74
    Vietnam 71 - 73
    Combat Veterans Motorcycle Association 41-2 Reno, NV
    Midway Route FNG ATW 2015, TG 2016, TG 2017, TG 2018

• April 7, 2017 at 7:48 am #4723
    John McKeeJohn McKee
    Keymaster

During the 2016 Run, there were 11 “incidents” involving 15 riders.  Most were treated on-scene for minor injuries, and in some incidents, the only hurts were to motorcycles and prides.  Six riders were transported to a medical facility for treatment, none life-threatening.

Keep in mind that Run For The Wall navigates 3 routes, and in 2016, 587 motorcycles carrying 681 riders and passengers traveled from Ontario, CA to Arlington, VA, an average of 2,750 miles.

So that’s 1.6 million vehicle miles, 1.9 million passenger miles, and that does not include those who only do part of The Run.  Roughly, between 2.5 million and 3 million passenger miles are racked up each year.

So, the answer to the original posting is “NO”.  There are not lots of accidents on this Run, and, as has been stated by others in this thread, the safety of riders is of utmost importance to the Run For The Wall Family.

John "Wicked" McKee
    RFTW BOD
    Director of Risk Management

• April 7, 2017 at 8:07 am #4726
    pablothemanpablotheman
    Participant

Doc,

Thanks for the invite to ride with your platoon. I’ll probably take you up on it. I’ll actually be joining the run in Flagstaff, AZ. Most of the groups I ride with have done one thing I disapprove of. They accelerate to 90-100 mph or more when entering the freeway, probably to hear their pipes bellow, then back off to about 75-80 mph for steady state riding (speed limit in AZ is 75). This creates the rubber band effect someone mentioned in their post as the lead riders slow while others are catching up. Hope things are a little more sane with RFTW.

As far as the helmet is concerned, I plan to start wearing the damn thing (lol) as soon as I complete the 500 mile new bike break-in period, I have 252 miles as of this writing. Got to put 1,000 miles on it before the week of May 7-13 so I can have the break-in maintenance done before the run. Add to that 500 helmeted miles the 331 miles Google Maps says it is from my home in Sierra Vista to Flagstaff and I should be acceptably used to the helmet. What has always worried me about helmets is you don’t hear as well with them on and it can get kind of hot in them in AZ.

Since I have a natural fear of dumping a brand new bike that had already worn off when I rode my 2010 Street Glide I may look into retaking an MSF advanced course in order to force me to practice low speed maneuvering. Depends if there is one nearby between now and mid-May.

One other question. Is radio usage at a reasonable volume allowed through a helmet headset? I imagine that communication between riders is mostly through hand signals except for maybe at fuel stops or other low speed areas.

Anyway, I’ll sign off now so I can print off a bunch of additional IRS paperwork they want to prove I deserve my refund. They want 6-8 weeks for processing before they dole out the cash so it looks like I won’t have it by RFTW. No matter, I still have enough cash. Thanks to everyone that has posted to this thread, as mentioned before those posts have considerably allayed my fears.

Paul Hurst

US Navy EM2, 1977-1983

FNG

• April 7, 2017 at 9:53 am #4727
    The MayorThe Mayor
    Participant

Welcome Pablotheman!  As you’ve already witnessed, there are various perspectives of the Run.  Talk to all that you can, and sort out what makes sense to you.  Regarding helmets; my personal experience is that your head will tend to swell with increased heat and hours on the Run.  If there’s ANY question as to your comfort, change helmets… ’cause you will wear it every minute that you’re on the bike and involved in an RFTW activity, and don’t need the distraction of being uncomfortable.  My former helmet had a seam across the forehead… on Day Four of the Run, I carved out some of the lining to take the pressure off.  I wear a flip-up for personal reasons, including the ability to take a drink when needed, talking while stationary, and for more air at parade speeds.  I’ve also found that it’s cooler in hot climates due to slower evaporation with adjustable air flow, warmer in the cold,  and a whole lot more comfortable in the rain.

Jim "The Mayor" Frost
    USAF SSgt 66-69
    Bien Hoa AB, RVN 8/67-10/69

• April 7, 2017 at 10:30 am #4728
    CynderCynder
    Participant

Pablo,

It is recommended when purchasing a helmet, to wear it in the dealership for 15-30 min to see if any pressure points develop.  Make sure you put sunglasses if you wear them on as well.  The helmet should fit snug, but not so tight that it hurts.  It should also not be so loose that it can come off with the chin strap engaged.

The lead element enters the highway holding 40-45 mph until the last man is on the highway.  At that point, the lead element will increase at 5 mph increments until they reach the desired speed.  Use minute adjustments with your throttle.  Don’t be in a hurry to close a gap, as just as you throttle up, the bike in front of you will be backing off.  Take it easy and you’ll see quickly how a rhythm presents itself.

The Run Leadership uses CB channel 2 for communications. THIS IS FOR LEADERSHIP ONLY. You are welcome to listen, however please do not transmit on this channel.  If you want to communicate with fellow riders, please choose a different channel. Also, music is not allowed through external speakers now.  This was a new rule to me last year.

Hope this answers some of your questions.  Don’t be afraid to ask more if you have them.

Is it May Yet?!

Mary "Cynder" Melick
    Central Route
    Road Guard 2017, 2018
    All The Way 2016, 2017
    Fuel Team 2014, 2015

• April 7, 2017 at 11:05 pm #4735
    DutchmanDutchman
    Participant

I think it’s pretty irresponsible of your dealer to judge this run without participating – I say that because if he had ever made the run, he would have seen that it is handled in the safest manor any group run can. If anything, there are complaints that there are too many safety rules. The helmet thing didn’t used to be mandatory (although required by State law in California and the East), but it is an AMA mandate for insurance. You will get used to it quickly….. Safety is everyone’s job, and even the FNG’s do it well with a little schooling. Having said all that, I have been on several poker runs this week (Arizona Bike Week) and there have been accidents in every one. RFTW requires a higher riding skill set than your Sunday “Hog Run” If you practice your skills, become familiar (and comfortable) with your bike and show up for RFTW with a willingness to learn, than you will be safe and those around you safe as well. Consider this: The distance from Sierra Vista to Flagstaff is 333 miles…. It’s 525 miles to Ontario. Why not ride an extra 200 mile to make it ALL THE WAY!!??

USMC In-Country I Corps 69-70

RFTW "Participant" 2003, 2004, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2018
    ATW 2010, 2011, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019

• April 8, 2017 at 7:12 am #4739
    pablothemanpablotheman
    Participant

Dutchman,

Originally made plans for Flagstaff back in February because the couple that was going with me and has since backed out wanted to do the Midway Route – I was originally leaning toward the Southern Route. I stayed with the Midway Route and the Flagstaff location because I planned to spend time with my niece in Flagstaff. Turns out now that she’ll be moving back to Canada before then for the summer. Am staying with the Midway Route but there is no real reason I couldn’t go ATW at this point, will consider.

• April 8, 2017 at 10:01 am #4741
    DocDoc
    Participant

Ditto to what Dutchman says. If at all possible, you’ve got to go ATW. You don’t have to stay at the host hotel, but definitely plan on spending the day there on Tuesday. Attend the FNG orientation, meet and talk to other riders, and take it all in. Be sure to wear your FNG pin proudly where everyone can see it. Then when you reach D.C., you can proudly sew on your ATW patch.

For me, it’s another snow day.

Is it ever going to get to May?

Doc

USAF 70 - 74
    Vietnam 71 - 73
    Combat Veterans Motorcycle Association 41-2 Reno, NV
    Midway Route FNG ATW 2015, TG 2016, TG 2017, TG 2018

• April 8, 2017 at 11:57 am #4743
    The MayorThe Mayor
    Participant

Let’s take this one step further Paul!  Roll in to Ontario on Monday afternoon and spend all day with us on Tuesday.  There will be a Run to Riverside National Cemetery on the morning of Tuesday the 16th.  Some details are posed here on the Forum, and will also be in the April Newsletter when it’s posted.

The RNC Run will stage after 0730, Rider’s Meeting at 0830, KSU at 0900.  Back to the host hotel by noon for your FNG meeting in mid-afternoon.  Lots going on Tuesday, including a Blessing Of The Bikes and a dinner which closes off early enough to get a good night’s sleep.

Jim "The Mayor" Frost
    USAF SSgt 66-69

• April 8, 2017 at 3:18 pm #4746
    zipperzipper
    Participant

Dealers sometimes just want you to think they know more than anyone else and will bullshit people trying to impress them.

• April 10, 2017 at 10:39 am #4776
    pablothemanpablotheman
    Participant

To All,

Looks like I have decided to go all the way instead of joining in Flagstaff, AZ. I will reread all these posts and respond where appropriate to those who suggested I go the extra day and start in Ontario vs Flagstaff. I’ve made a reservation at the Holiday Inn on E Convention Center Way for Tuesday, May 16th. Even though it is only for the evening before the run, I plan to leave Sierra Vista, AZ by 6:30 am on Tuesday which puts me in Ontario, CA by 2:00-2:30 pm according to Google Maps. Hope to meet many of you that afternoon and evening. Gotta go now, I have an appointment I need to be at but will further correspond later.

Paul Hurst

US Navy, EM2, 1977-1983

FNG, Midway Route

• April 11, 2017 at 12:01 pm #4798
    The MayorThe Mayor
    Participant

Paul,

The time may be adjusted, ’cause it hasn’t been posted yet, but there’s a tentative meeting for Midway Route FNGs at 1:15 in the afternoon on Tuesday the 16th.  Great time to get acclimated with your new family.

(And, I’m still lobbying to get you here early enough for the Riverside National Cemetery Run on Tuesday morning!)

Jim "The Mayor" Frost
    USAF SSgt 66-69

• April 11, 2017 at 12:11 pm #4799
    The MayorThe Mayor
    Participant

Ontario schedule is posted on all three routes now.

Jim "The Mayor" Frost
    USAF SSgt 66-69

• April 11, 2017 at 2:58 pm #4806
    Jim McCrainJim McCrain
    Participant

Hope to meet many of you that afternoon and evening.  

Paul, Welcome to the RFTW Family!  It makes us all extremely happy to hear that you are going All The Way!  This is an experience that you will never forget.  I’m also glad that you are coming in the day before the Run.  I will second what “The Mayor” has said, though.  You really want to come in as early that morning as possible and attend the ride to Riverside National Cemetery!  It is a perfect way to start meeting your fellow Riders and to get a little taste of what the next 10 days are going to be like.  Riverside is NOT to be missed, if at all possible!

I will be in Ontario for several days before the trip.  Ask around for Hoofer.  I look forward to meeting you.

Cheers!

Hoofer

Jim "Hoofer" McCrain
    Photographer, Midway Route (2019)
    Road Guard, Midway Route (2017, 2018, 2019)
    Road Guard, Southern Route (2016)
    Tail Gunner, Southern Route (2015)
    FNG, Southern Route (2014)

• April 11, 2017 at 7:03 pm #4814
    CircleTCircleT
    Participant

Pablo,

Welcome to Platoon 4 if you decide to join us. I can assure you we do whatever we can to keep the rubber band effect to a minimum. Leadership speeds up in gradual increments after entering the freeway and doesn’t go to cruising speed (5 mph under the speed limit) until all platoons are reported to be on the slab. Since Leadership is cruising under the speed limit there is no need to accelerate to excessive speeds to catch the pack, riders that do generally end up testing their brakes. There will be times that platoons get separated. If we fall back, as a platoon leader, I make it a point to increase our platoon speed only to the speed limit to catch up. If we are way behind, maybe 5 mph over the speed limit but never more than that. We are all going to the same place and generally get there together.

Terry Sharp
    RFTW 2008-2019
    Combat Hero Bike Build
    Director of Communications

• April 12, 2017 at 3:34 am #4818
    pablothemanpablotheman
    Participant

To All,

Looks like I’ve finally decided to roll into Ontario on Monday afternoon/evening so I can participate in the run to Riverside National Cemetery on Tuesday as well as attend the Midway Route FNG orientation. That way I can relax on the way to Ontario rather than ride balls to the wall on Tuesday. I’d also like to take Doc up on his invite to join Platoon 4. I need to write down the nickname of everyone who responded to this post and try to meet them to offer my thanks before we take off for DC.

Paul Hurst

US Navy, EM2, 1977-1983

FNG Midway Route

• April 12, 2017 at 9:01 am #4820
    PelicanPelican
    Participant

Pablotheman,

Welcome Home,

Welcome to the Run For The Wall Family. This will be a Mission like no other you have ever experienced. Expect emotions to be abundant at unexpected times and from unexpected sources.

I look forward to giving you one of the many FNG hugs you are about to receive.

Welcome to Midway and Welcome to 4th Platoon.

Pelican  …. APL 4th Platoon

"I never met a man I didn't like"...will rogers

• April 12, 2017 at 9:14 am #4821
    Participant

Pablo, you are going to miss your FNG meeting on Tuesday May 16 with that schedule!!   Listen to the Mayor, come in on Monday

Run For The Wall - CR RG 09-19, RG 2010-2019
    Run For Them All committee
    SoCal PGR - RC
    American Legion Rider 759 - past RC
    Green Knights,39 - past RC
    Iron Butt Assoc.
    GWRRA
    Rolling Thunder
    Eagles UP
    USAF(SAC) Retired

• April 12, 2017 at 9:20 am #4822
    pablothemanpablotheman
    Participant

Dadbo,

Already decided to come in on Monday as per my most recent post. Will see everyone then.

Paul Hurst

US Navy, EM2, 1977-1983

FNG, Midway Route

• May 4, 2017 at 3:30 pm #5347
    Papa HawgPapa Hawg
    Participant

Pablotheman,

Welcome to the RFTW Family.   After a few days with us your life will change and you will have a new family of brothers and sisters.  If and when you feel comfortable and want to ride side-by-side, let me know and we will check you out to join the 2nd Platoon.

Also if you want or need anything just shout it out here on the forums.  Trust the Mayor about Riverside National Cemetary, been there many times and it is always a moving place and an experience like no other.  Also when we get to DC think about the Friday Evening Parade with the USMC Silent Drill Team and the Marine Corps Band.  Sign up on the main page under Run Info.

I need a favor if you can help me out.   Look me up in Ontario please.

Participant CR 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2013
    ATW Midway 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019
    Participant Midway Route: 2015
    Ambassador Lead 2019, 2020 Midway

U.S. Army Retired 1978 ~1998

• May 4, 2017 at 4:23 pm #5349
    THUMBTHUMB
    Participant

Pablotheman,

Thank you for your service.

Welcome to the RFTW Family. You will NOT regret starting in Ontario CA and going all the way. You will also not regret going to Riverside National Cemetary. Last year was my FNG year and was only going to be a one off and now I will be heading back to the USA for my second RFTW.

Hope to meet you in Ontario CA.

Kind regards.

Edwin Musto - THUMB
    South African Defence Force - 1980-1982 - Corporal
    1 Maintenance Unit
    Quarter Master General Head Quarters
    2016 - (FNG) Central Route - All the way! Platoon 9
    2017 - Central Route - All the way on the Ambassador Team
    2018 - Central Route - All the way on Communications Team
    2020 - Central Route - All the way
    2020 - Sandbox Route - Wall to Wall on the Ambassador Team

• February 18, 2018 at 1:57 pm #8112
    Participant

There are some accidents. But usually it’s self-inflicted because they haven’t hydrated enough you’re on the road like that you get real sleepy if you’re not fully hydrated .

Just remember keep your head pivoting all the time and you’ll be fine   .

This is going to be my fourth year want to see NFG on the  Southern route .

3 more on the  fuel team    Southern route. So welcome to the family and if you’re on the southern route look forward to meet you at the gas pump.

Fresh / Doug / all the  Way  ( 4 ) times .

• February 19, 2018 at 10:16 am #8119
    HotRodHotRod
    Participant

Hello Paul, welcome to the RFTW family.  Having been from Ca where we didn’t have to wear helmets it kind of was troublesome when we had to start wearing them. Now I won’t be caught without them. I ride in states where no helmet is mandatory but still wear mine anyways, I feel more safe. (I live in NV now). One thing you might consider is to have two helmets, a full face and a half. I always take two on this run. Bad weather is great to have a full and good weather the half.     If at all possible watch on you tube the Ride Like A Pro video. Then get with some buddies and practice it till you can get an advanced course, I find it helps as I do it all the time and I’m getting better, I’ve always had a problem with  tight u-turns, scare the hell out of me but like I said I’m getting more confident. (Oh did I say I’ve been riding for about 50 years and still learning).   One of the most important things you can do on this run is to listen to the Route Coordinator, your platoon leader, asst platoon leader and you tail gunners. They are there to help keep it safer for everyone.    Have fun and enjoy everyday of the time your with all your brothers and welcome home.

Rod (Hot Rod) George

FNG 2015 CR

Staging Crew 2016 CR

Tail Gunner 2017 MW

APL 2018 CR

• February 19, 2018 at 11:08 am #8120
    pablothemanpablotheman
    Participant

To Everyone Who is Posting on This Thread,

I started this thread for last year’s RFTW and participated all the way on the Midway Route so I’ve got some experience with knowing how many accidents happen. Seems like there were more accidents on the Central Route but that’s to be expected as there were more bikes participating. The numbers overall were low considering the large number of bikes involved with this effort. Anyway, I’ve decided to go again this year as part of the staging team on the Central Route. It’s good to keep this thread alive for the FNGs as I’m sure some of them are curious.

Paul Hurst

US Navy, EM2, 1977-1983

FNG, Midway Route 2017

• February 20, 2018 at 2:08 am #8136
    TexTex
    Participant

Interesting thread. I guess things have changed with the leadership the last few years regarding the mention of accidents.

A few years ago I was assigned to be a tail gunner on a platoon. I happened to mention an accident which happened on my previous year’s run in this forum. Nothing in great detail. A couple of days after posting that I got a call from the RC and ARC by phone informing me that I was being relieved of my TG position as punishment for even MENTIONING that we had an incident on the run.

It appears as if the leadership is a bit more lenient now. I applaud them.

Tex

NAVY
    in-country '68-'70 PBR-759
    GM3/ FTG2
    SS qualified (USS DACE SSN-607)
    Retired Senior Software Manager
    Retired A&P
    ATW '13, '15, '16, '18, '19
    FNG once - TG once - APL once, ROAD GUARD once, pain in the butt the other time

• March 7, 2018 at 11:30 am #8335
      WizardWizard
      Participant

More accidents on the Central Route because of all the Yankees!!  LOL

Retired Army E-7
      Former Honor Guard Coordinator, SR
      Former Tail Gunner, SR
      Former Ambassador SR
      Risk Management Officer, SR 2020

• February 20, 2018 at 1:33 pm #8144
    Participant

Hopefully it has gotten better. ’08 was interesting but ’09 must have been a lot of tired riders..

Participant 2008
    All the way 2009
    Vietnam Vet 67-68

• February 22, 2018 at 8:12 am #8164
    pablothemanpablotheman
    Participant

Tex,

Doesn’t sound very much like the 1st amendment that you were removed from the tail gunner permission for mentioning an accident. Thought that was one of the things we served to protect. Glad things have changed.

Paul Hurst

US Navy, EM2, 1977-1983

FNG, Midway Route 2017

• March 7, 2018 at 11:26 am #8334
    WizardWizard
    Participant

I knew I had Deja Vu!!  This post started BEFORE the 2017 RFTW!!

Retired Army E-7
    Former Honor Guard Coordinator, SR
    Former Tail Gunner, SR
    Former Ambassador SR
    Risk Management Officer, SR 2020

• March 8, 2018 at 9:42 am #8343
    TexTex
    Participant

I guess I’m confused about the threads which get restarted. Why are we recycling threads which were posted prior to last year’s Run ? Why aren’t we posting NEW postings about current events ONLY ?

Tex

NAVY
    in-country '68-'70 PBR-759
    GM3/ FTG2
    SS qualified (USS DACE SSN-607)
    Retired Senior Software Manager
    Retired A&P
    ATW '13, '15, '16, '18, '19
    FNG once - TG once - APL once, ROAD GUARD once, pain in the butt the other time

• March 10, 2018 at 9:36 pm #8368
    DragonDragon
    Participant

Count me in Tex.  Confused is the word!  It’s like I just wasted time I could have been …. Whatever!

SR 2015 FNG ATW, 2016 Staging Team
    2017 Assistant Staging Team Leader
    2018 Staging Team Leader
    2019 Assistant Staging Team Leader
    2020 Staging Team Leader

• March 12, 2018 at 7:01 pm #8388
    HotRodHotRod
    Participant

Yea, next time I’ll remember to look at when the Text was Posted. Silly me.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.