Is it me, or has there less posting on this site????

Home Forums General Discussion Is it me, or has there less posting on this site????

Viewing 44 reply threads
  • Author
      ReconMiltReconMilt
      Participant

Usually, by this time there is a multitude of good information offered to the FNG’s about Hydration, Packing, Items, Meds, to take and general inputs to boggle the mind.

Ridding suggestions on throttle control, closing the distance between riders in the platoon.  How to wave to the friendly’s on bridges ect….

1SG Army 1966-88, 11B5MQ8, RVN 1967-68, 70-71 Southern Route, FNG 10, Staging TM 14 & Leader 15, TG 5th PLT 16, PL/APL 6th PLT 17, PL 7th PLT 18.

Robert KasmerchekRobert Kasmerchek
      Participant

I’m a F N G how do you wave to friends on the Bridge

Participant

How is the best way to pack your stuff on the motorcycle I’m camping my normal way is to put on the motorcycle behind me and use Bungie net to hold on I put the stuff on sideways not up and down and it seems to work for me but I’m up for new ideas

ReconMiltReconMilt
      Participant

Welcome Robert, keep your head and eyes on the bike to your front, hold your speed and interval, stick your left had in the air and wave.  If you look at the friendly’s and wave you will automatically drop your throttle speed.    Welcome to the Mission.

1SG Army 1966-88, 11B5MQ8, RVN 1967-68, 70-71 Southern Route, FNG 10, Staging TM 14 & Leader 15, TG 5th PLT 16, PL/APL 6th PLT 17, PL 7th PLT 18.

ReconMiltReconMilt
      Participant

Packing is in the eye of the beholder, I use t-bags now, but have used nets, bungee straps and thought my stuff was tight, wrong and lost my jacket in 2012.  Check your gear before you head out and at stops.  If you see something wrong with someone gear let them know.  Dodging saddlebags, jackets and extra helmets ect.. can make a very interesting ride.  The Tail Gunner and Assistant Platoon Leader (APL) should also check your gear and also your tires when they walk the platoon.  If your tires are below 4/32 in, I would think about getting new ones before heading out on the run.

Start hydrating now and increase your water intake.

DocDoc
      Participant

Reconmilt is correct. I haven’t seen near the posts on the new site as in prior years. Not sure if it’s the site, or a change in the riders. Just the same I miss the exchanges, and the good information shared in those exchanges.

Robert, I don’t believe there any “best” way to pack your gear because everyone’s gear is different. What is important is that once the gear is secured on the bike, that it can’t be moved with a push. As a TG, every morning, and sometimes after lunch, I walk along the bikes in my Platoon, grab the gear, and give it a pull. If it moves, I work with the rider to help them do a better job of securing the gear. The last thing you want to see is something coming off the bike in front of you.

Regarding waving at the spectators, I’ll guarantee you that if you look up, your bike will slow down. It’s a natural instinct for a rider to slow down when they take their eyes off the bike in front of them, and you’ll see it happen at every overpass if the riders look up. Think about it, your moving at 65 mph, and you don’t know them. Just give them a wave or a left handed salute, and keep your eyes front. Your experience will be just as rewarding.

Welcome to The Run, Robert. Be prepared for a ride unlike any you’ve participated in before.

Doc

USAF 70 - 74
      Vietnam 71 - 73
      Combat Veterans Motorcycle Association 41-2 Reno, NV
      Midway Route FNG ATW 2015, TG 2016, TG 2017, TG 2018

DataData
      Participant

I was thinking the same thing (not many post like in the past).

Please do wave as you go by.  Lets them know you see then out there supporting you and what RFTW stands for.  I have been told to not look up and ended up still looking up.  When I put my attention back on the bike in front of me, I had to play catch-up.  So it hit me, I did exactly what I was told not to do and it happened the way I was told it would.  So I learned to look at them in the far distance while focused on the bike ahead of me and as I got closer I would just wave with the left hand but kept flying the plane, I mean bike.  Just remember to wave if you feel convertible doing that.  These people are out there to support the Run.  They are not out there a minute or two just before RC rides under the bridge.  I have seen Fire Dept personnel in their dress uniform holding a flag, and it’s pouring rain.  Other locations it’s over a hundred degree’s outside and people are out there waving and cheering you on.  It gives you a different view of America than those you see on TV like at UC Berkeley.

DataData
      Participant

And do watch what you pack.  The chase trucks will take you to the next dealership if you break down and there are always a Walmart or a store like that close by if you forgot something.  The hydration team will have water or other drinks for you so even that is taken care of.  I just always drink at the stops which is normally a little over an hour down the road but always less than two hours between stops.  Keep tabs on the itinerary and you will know how far each leg is with distance and time given to you for each day.

Everyone packs to much gear.  I thought I would need more than I had but even I had enough.  And I do pack light when I travel.  Again, look at the itinerary and you will see if you will have time to wash clothes down the road (or your partner) or can it wait till your getting ready to go back home.  One year I went to the laundry mat but another year I stayed at a hotel that had washer and dryer’s available.  But tie everything down tight.  You see flags and other items on the ground that you know came off a bike.  Everyone is loaded down, some with passengers so it will be hard to maneuver around a pack back or worse if it lands in front of them.  So someone could go down if your gear comes off your bike.

One thing you do need to have handy is your rain gear.  So pack it so it is accessible if there is even a slight chance of rain.  One Platoon Leader told us that he felt the chance of rain wasn’t too great so he decided to wear only his jacket.  It rained and he was soaked from the waist down.  They do not stop to put rain gear on so choose wisely.

One last thing, watch yourself.  If you are tired, then sleep in and catch up the next day.  You are close to a lot of other riders that need you to be attentive at all times.

DataData
      Participant

Sorry, but one more, one more thing.  This affects me and I didn’t think about it till on the Run.  I live in Ca.  Ca is a desert.  If we get Santa Ana’s, I am miserable.  My allergies get to me really bad.  But even when we don’t get a high wind event, if the pollen count is high, I am miserable.  But that is mostly seasonal and because I live in a desert, most days I am fine.  On the Run, going east, I was fine until we got past Dallas.  All that vegetation means a lot of pollen and other allergens in the air.  So take you best allergy pills with you.  You will need them back east for sure.

VAFishVAFish
      Participant

Just know your allergy meds.  (any meds really)

If they make you sleepy until you get used to them, start taking them before the run.  You don’t want to be head bobbing tired as you ride in the pack.

US Army 1982-1989 Signal Corps
      RFTW 2016 FNG 2nd Platoon Central Route
      RFTW 2017 Participant 2nd Platoon Central Route

jwormmeester@yahoo.com[email protected]
      Participant

I know the change from .org to .us was needed, but I think a lot of the usual people that posted did not make the move.   I took me a while.   The trafick is definitely a lot less.

ReconMiltReconMilt
      Participant

Good information from Doc and Data, I would also use a Cool Coat going across the desert, it helps to lower the bodies temperature.  This is my 8th mission and I think I have my packing list down without over packing, but I’m riding 2 up (taking my Grandson) this year.

Is it May YET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CH54CH54
      Participant

Test hop the way you load your gear before the ride so you can make corrections then. If you’re camping practice breaking camp and loading up early in the morning when it may still be kinda dark. If you find yourself nodding off in the pack tap out and catch up later. (I did that a couple years ago in Missouri).

And when you come back from a ride stand in the hallway for 10 minutes before using the bathroom 🙂

CR ATW 13,14,15. Participant 16, ATW 17, Participant18. ATW19

CowboyCowboy
      Participant

Must agree, far less postings on the new site.

One piece of advice concerning  your meds. Carry them either in orginal containers or have your prescription forms with you. IF stopped by LEO with  prescription  drugs and no proof it’s yours, it could be a problem.

Ride Safe

Ride Free…….Never Firget.

Cowboy

croulstoncroulston
      Participant

I’m FNG on midway route joining in Shawnee, OK.  Could I get more specific information on what to expect at registration, morning briefing, end of day and so forth?  Also,  how likely is it my partner and I will get to be 2 of the group of FNG’S going to Arlington.  This is very important to me.  A dear friends dad is buried their and I have a flower from her mother to lay on his grave.  Will I be able to do this?

USAR 354th Chem
      2017 Participant Midway FNG

LeoLeo
      Participant

Robert, great question and great answers, but I’d like to add one thing.  When waving to people on bridges, we were taught to raise your head but keep your eyes and attention to the front, and wave (or as Doc said, left-handed salute).  It appears as though you’re looking at them and waving, which people appreciate.  They can’t tell where you’re actually looking, and don’t really understand how precise our style of riding is.  It takes a bit of practice, so try it out.

Riding style is covered very well in the FNG meetings.  Basically they should tell you to ride as close as you’re comfortable.  This may be 2 seconds on Day 1, but should decrease quickly.  FNGs who register along the way are usually put in the rear of the platoon to observe how you ride.  It comes naturally; 10 days of constant formation riding at various speeds, fuel stops, and navigating gravel church parking lots after long days will make you a better rider.

In regards to packing, don’t assume because it’s warm in Southern California and will be hot in DC that it won’t be freezing cold in between!  Pack gear to survive a 100-mile leg in 33-degree rainy, foggy weather.

Reconmilt, I’ve noticed there’s been a lot of traffic on the private RFTW Facebook page, but even there, there’s not much useful info for FNGs.

Ya’ll keep the questions coming, there’s plenty of wisdom on this forum!

It’s almost May…

Leo

Leo Rachmel
      SFC, U.S. Army, Retired (1987-2008)
      2015 FNG ATW, MR
      2016 Staging Team, MR
      2017 RGIT, MR
      2018 Road Guard, MR
      Southern Nevada PGR Ride Captain

ozoz
      Participant

I’m FNG on midway route joining in Shawnee, OK. Could I get more specific information on what to expect at registration, morning briefing, end of day and so forth? Also, how likely is it my partner and I will get to be 2 of the group of FNG’S going to Arlington. This is very important to me. A dear friends dad is buried their and I have a flower from her mother to lay on his grave. Will I be able to do this?

You should make it into Arlington, but theres always a chance you won’t, but most make it in, as far as I know.  Now getting to put a flower down during the RFTW stay may not be possible. There is a short window of time to get there, see the changing of the guards and see the RFTW presentation. Plus you go in as a group and leave as a group, the only motorcycle organization allowed to enter Arlington. So you might plan on going back later. You will find out more when you join up and ask the Route staff you are with.

Welcome Home!!

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.": Benjamin Franklin

When in difficult situations I ask myself "WHAT WOULD CURLY DO?"

ozoz
      Participant

I like the new web site other than the forums, it seems not to be a true forum.  Its missing a lot of shortcuts on finding new posts, looking in certain areas of the forums.  I would vote to change it to a better one that is a true forum with easier navigation.   I ran several years ago and they have improved so much, and traffic in here should be really heavy at this time, as in past years….. but thats my humble opinion   IMHO  🙂

Ride Safe!!  See everyone in Ontario soon!!!

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.": Benjamin Franklin

PelicanPelican
      Participant

Now this is what I like on the forum, a good batch of questions and answers.

There has been really really good info posted on here, keep asking the questions, if you don’t ask it can only be “assumed” the answer is already known. But some of us “older” folks may have forgotten what we don’t know…ha ha

At registration, check your itinerary as to when registration opens, be there ready to get the paperwork out of the way at that time. Be sure to have, in hand, your current drivers license with valid m/c endorsement, current proof of insurance for whatever your ride is, current registration for your ride. ( All of these documents cannot have an expiration date that goes into effect while on the Run) If you pre-registered online have that with you also. It is also very helpful to print out and have filled out the Emergency Info Sheet that is available online. ( You must have this completed form with you and visible, in a clear plastic sleeve that is provided to you at registration check in, and worn around your neck at all times while on the Run) If possible, fill the info out in lead pencil, if this form gets wet, and they occasionally do, anything printed, or in ink, will run and be un-readable.

The morning briefing is exactly that. A briefing for all the riders of any announcements, change in itinerary, lost and found items that have been turned in, pledge of allegiance, prayer, review of hand signals, etc. etc. etc. The morning briefing is mandatory for all riders.

In the evening, at the end of the days activities, you are responsible for topping off your fuel tank so you are ready for the next days ride,(some riders do this chore in the morning on their way to that mornings staging area), if you “forget” to fuel before staging the next morning, you very well may be caught short on fuel during a leg and be one of the few, yet proud I think, who are along the shoulder of the road, jumping up and down waiving their arms like a banshee for the chase vehicle to stop and help you, if they pass you up, you are then on your own. Finding and checking into your hotel or campground is up to you also, but usually there are several other riders going to the same place.

The friendlies on the bridges absolutely do not know if you are looking at them or not, but they can definitely see if you acknowledge and respect their presence. They are demonstrating honor and respect to you, return it. BUT DON’T LOOK AT THEM.  !! ( I prefer the left hand salute, Whitebirch introduced that to me, it looks & works very well….for me)

I know I have left something out or skimmed over stuff, but I am confident someone more astute at these things than I will mention it.

WELCOME HOME

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE

WELCOME TO A FAMILY LIKE NO OTHER…WELCOME TO RFTW

da PELICAN

"I never met a man I didn't like"...will rogers

As an FNG – I find this level of information PRICELESS!!  Thank you all!   See you soon.

FNG MR 2017
      MR 2017 Tailgunner
      CR 2018 Participant

DocDoc
      Participant

Croulston, Pelican has given you some great advice. I would add that we begin staging at 0600 and I recommend you arrive about that time. It will ease a lot of your first day stress, and you will have time to ask as many questions as you want.

You have an open invitation to join us in Platoon 4, and we will take care of you. Regardless, be sure to wear your FNG pin proudly front and center, and you will find all of the leadership team and riders with more experience on the Run will be happy to guide you along the way.

Regarding Arlington, last year Platoon 4 gave out “tickets” to the FNGs based on a priority of what day they joined the Run. In other words, FNGs who started in Ontario had first priority, and those who joined us on the last day had last priority. That being said, I think all of our FNGs were taken care of last year.

Regarding, the placement of the rose, Pelican is quite correct. Please understand that RFTW has the honor of being the only motorcycle organization allow to ride our motors on the grounds of the cemetery. For this reason we quietly and respectfully ride onto the grounds and off of the grounds as a group. No radios and no revving of our motors. We are there just long enough to observe the changing of the guard, and to present the RFTW wreath. In order to take the time to lay your rose, spend a moment in respect, and perhaps say a prayer, I think you would be better to consider coming back later that day or the following day.

Welcome to the Run, Croulston. I look forward to meeting you in Shawnee.

Doc

USAF 70 - 74
      Vietnam 71 - 73

Pretty BoyPretty Boy
      Keymaster

FYI —

Sometime after the 2017 Run, there will be a new RFTW forum, similar to the old one, but better. I think you’ll all like it.

Kirk "Pretty Boy" Olson
      Route Road Guard Captain - Central Route
      Central Route Road Guard - 2010-2019

Participant 2009, 2015 | All the Way 2010-2014, 2016-2020
      2012 BMW K1600GT

Participant

Might be a good time to start subject specific threads.

1) What to pack

2)Bike security

3)Riding in pack formation

4)For H-D riders…knowing how to start bike without fob …extra key and fob

5)Pezz dispensers

Many more subjects, should start now..8 and a wake-up before I head West

Participant

I have to ask what is the pezz dispensers are for and how to start a h d without extra key and fob and what to pack and riding in the pack and bike security

ReconMiltReconMilt
      Participant

Robert, this is Recon,

Pez Dispenser is a Lead Pellet launcher in assorted sizes, which will NOT BE Flaunted on the run.   I would recommend if you have one, let your Platoon or Assistant Platoon Leaders know where it is in case you go down and some one can recover and secure the Pez Dispenser.

Starting a Harley w/o FOB.  You can reset a personal code if your FOBs battery fails or it takes a dump.  Best thing to do is replace the battery (2032) before the run and keep extra batteries with you.

WizardWizard
      Participant

I think a lot of us were pleased with the .org site.  If that format could be returned I believe the site would see more traffic.  I really liked the other format.  Yes, I think there is less posting.

Retired Army E-7
      Former Honor Guard Coordinator, SR
      Former Tail Gunner, SR
      Former Ambassador SR
      Risk Management Officer, SR 2021

DocDoc
      Participant

Robert, a Pezz dispenser is the term used to identify an item that is protected by your 2nd amendment rights. You need to understand the laws of states your traveling through, and some of the military facilities you might be visiting, before you decide you wish to carry one.

To your second question, rather than trying to remember how to start my bike without the key fob, I simply carry a second fob in a pocket or something that stays with me at night. Of course, you would never pack it and leave it on the bike overnight.

I have never heard of a bike security issue at any of the fuel or lunch stops during the run. As far as overnight is concerned, I carry a brake rotor lock and lock it on the rear rotor. The front fork lock takes care of the front. Once I’m in D.C. and no longer surrounded by my brothers, the bike is always locked.

Some, but few, cover their bikes at night. I’m too tired at night to take the time to cover my bike, and too lazy to want to uncover and fold it up in the morning. On the run home it’s a different story. I lock and cover every night.

Welcome to The Run!

Doc

USAF 70 - 74
      Vietnam 71 - 73

PelicanPelican
      Participant

Good point Doc, concerning the security of your ride, but for some reason I have never heard of that kind of a problem with my ride…..but I still lock er up at night…just sayin…1st time for everything…right!!!

DocDoc
      Participant

Pelican, could it be that you never heard of a problem with the security of your ride because it’s a Goldwing? ????

Love ya, Brother.

USAF 70 - 74
      Vietnam 71 - 73

DataData
      Participant

As I remember, Pezz dispenser’s are not allowed on the Run per the RFTW rules.  Also, you cannot take a dispenser on federal land so if you are visiting a military facility, that is against federal law.  So think about that before you carry a dispenser.  If anyone know’s more about this subject then share your info so all of us will know as well.

That said, as someone on a forum stated before, it’s not the ride out that he was worried about but the trip back.  Many are out there alone in the boonies with law enforcement a long way off.  Maybe even without cell service.  Either way, use caution.

croulstoncroulston
      Participant

USAR 354th Chem

ReconMiltReconMilt
      Participant

Data, I believe you are wrong about PEZ dispensers on the run, you are right about Federal property.

PelicanPelican
      Participant

Awwww Doc, you just burst my bubble, all this time I figured I had never encountered that security problem because I was just so darn ornery looking…..

In reference to the Pez dispensers and Pez Candy discussion, those in the know usually do not see the need to let others know !

VAFishVAFish
      Participant

On the old site they had a FAQ or some rules page.  I can’t find it here on the new site.  But as I recall the rule said ” No firearms or other weapons”  and their interpretation of that was “We don’t want to see any firearms or weapons”

US Army 1982-1989 Signal Corps
      RFTW 2016 FNG 2nd Platoon Central Route
      RFTW 2017 Participant 2nd Platoon Central Route

croulstoncroulston
      Participant

Thank you for the excellent information.  Doc it would be an honor to be in your platoon but I have a can am spyder.  I look forward to meeting everyone and am very excited about the experience and adventure.  Time to leave yet?

USAR 354th Chem

CowboyCowboy
      Participant

Extra HD fob. I carry mine in my shaving kit with a new (each run) battery  taped to the fob. Thus can be left on bike while  parked but not activated.

Pez dispensers may be carried  but NOT displayed. If not displayed no one knows. That said your PL, APL should be aware in case of a worse case scenario. Actually  there is no reason to carry on your person while on the Run. To many Brothers  an Sisters  around offering protection (not needed) in numbers. My suggestion, keep unloaded in luggage on the Run. On your way  to join or on your way home is different  story.

ozoz
      Participant

I don’t think its ever been a rule that you can’t have a pez dispenser, (RFTW does not condone them) but it has always been don’t show and keep it to yourself.  Would bet over half the riders have them…..  as said before not worried with the Run just going to and going from….

Ride Safe!

ozoz
      Participant

FYI — Sometime after the 2017 Run, there will be a new RFTW forum, similar to the old one, but better. I think you’ll all like it.

That’s great news!!!!  I would say go Vbulletin, since that’s what I always used, even as costly as it can be…. but good news no matter what!!! Great work!!!!!

The MayorThe Mayor
      Participant

Leave it to troublemaker ReconMilt to start a thread like this.  As he heads east with the Run, it’s my understanding that his gorgeous bride is packing their belongings in order to avoid California taxes (& stuff) by moving to Arizona.  But, we digress… ‘just a few thoughts:

PACKING & CLOTHING: It’s been well said about load security.  Check the security of your load, but also check the bike in front of you!  If they have a problem, it can become yours.  Stuff coming off of bikes includes jackets, helmets, water bottles, hats, and shoes.  And that’s only what I’ve heard of!

LAYERS: Southern Route is typically the “warmest.”  You might leave Ontario on the morning of Day One at 65 degrees, and find that it’s over 100 degrees at your first fuel stop in Coachella 95 miles later.  Plan ahead what you’re going to with the stuff that you remove!  You might not need it again for a few more states.  I’ve found that pouring a water bottle on your legs helps to cool the body down… but it all evaporates a few miles down the road.

Central and Midway are completely different creatures: It might be cool in Ontario on Wednesday morning.  By your first fuel stop in Barstow or Ludlow, it could be in the high 90s or low 100s.  You’ll need to shuck the morning riding gear.  A “cool” lunch in Needles on the Central Route will be 90 degrees, but more typically 100+.

When you have a lunch stop (Midway) or fuel stop (Central) near Kingman, it will still be HOT.  If you’re ready to leave Kingman and see riders put on the leathers that they took off 100 miles earlier, there’s a reason:  You will be climbing a mountain before your next stop, and in 2011 the Run rolled into Williams, Arizona in 4″ of snow (Yup, that’s an exception.. that can “never” happen again!).  In Williams (Central), and Flagstaff (Midway), it will be chilly (or COLD).

Moral:  Layer, pack and prepare to unpack before the day is done.  Midway and Central, you can have 80 degree temperatures swings before Day One on Wednesday is done.  Know what you’re going to do with the clothing that you remove during the day… how and where to secure it… and how to put it back on a few hours later.

Jim "The Mayor" Frost
      USAF SSgt 66-69
      Bien Hoa AB, RVN 8/67-10/69

DrZDrZ
      Participant

Ever since I saw this question….I have been asking myself why is the posting so shy on this new site.  I can only offer an analogy.

Remember when you were a short timer….countdown going and you couldn’t wait to get home.  You told your brothers in country to stay safe and come home….and you told your friends you would see them again….and you saw your freedom bird land.  After multiple stops, in my case, you arrived in San Francisco airport.  You were home…kind of.  It was America…but it didn’t feel the same.  When you finally arrived to your real home…it wasn’t the same either.  The enjoyment you once had was gone.  Your home looked smaller… your town was different….and your friends were different.  The environment had changed and you didn’t feel like you fit in anymore.

I, at times, feel that way here.  It is familiar but not the same.  The friendly banter isn’t here.  Maneuvering around isn’t as easy.  It feels sterile.

My best explanation.  Does anyone else feel this way or have I finally gone off the deep end?

Semper Fi…and it is May and soon the start of the Run.

Z

2013, 2015,2016, 2017 and as many more as the old body will handle.

DutchmanDutchman
      Participant

I strongly urge Harley riders to reset your security PIN number from the factory default (the default is 11111) Even if you carry an extra fob or key, thieves know how to get past the “coke machine lock” and if your security PIN is still 11111, you just lost your bike. It is really simple to change it to a number you can easily remember (zip code, address, phone#)….. just consult your owner’s manual or go to YouTube for quick lessons. Here’s one ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aw_87JtRy8U ) This will also come in handy later when you are not on the Run and don’t have your extra fob and your battery goes dead. And… If you forget how to manually enter the code, just look in a friend’s owner’s manual or call a Harley dealer and they can tell you how to do it over the phone – as long as you haven’t forgotten your PIN.

USMC In-Country I Corps 69-70

RFTW "Participant" 2003, 2004, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2018
      ATW 2010, 2011, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019

tiimgenetiimgene
      Participant

I’m with you DRZ.  Being unable to make the Run this year I had hoped to still feel the excitement through this forum.  Not that the information here isn’t still informative and helpful but as you say there seems to be a lack of friendly banter.  I too believe the change in format had an impact.  I found it took a certain amount of tenacity to find and begin using the new format.  Perhaps many others just gave up.  Anyway ya’ll be safe this year.  Lord willing, I’ll rejoin the run next year.

Tim Fry
      Retired Civil Service Mechanical Engineer USAF HQ SAC Offutt AFB Nebraska
      Road Glide Rider
      PGR
      MIAP
      RFTW: Participant 2014 (Central); ATW 2015 (Midway); ATW 2016 (Central Staging Team); ATW 2018 (Southern Route)

pablothemanpablotheman
      Participant

All this talk about pez dispensers. Does anyone consider carrying a taser instead, I’ve seen them in pocket flashlight sizes? Probably not as effective as a pez dispenser as range is only as far as  you can reach but a lot less potential legal liability.

Paul Hurst

US Navy, EM2, 1977-1983, USS Emory S. Land (AS-39)

FNG Midway Route

HotRodHotRod
      Participant

Well said Pelican, see ya in Ontario.

FNG 2015 CR

Staging Team 2016 CR

TG Platoon 5 MWR

DrZDrZ
      Participant

I’m with you DRZ. Being unable to make the Run this year I had hoped to still feel the excitement through this forum. Not that the information here isn’t still informative and helpful but as you say there seems to be a lack of friendly banter. I too believe the change in format had an impact. I found it took a certain amount of tenacity to find and begin using the new format. Perhaps many others just gave up. Anyway ya’ll be safe this year. Lord willing, I’ll rejoin the run next year.

Semper Fi my brother…you will be missed.

I am hoping the powers that be will continue to fine tune the web site and as the fine tuning and comfort level by the users grow….the banter comes back.  Many here have said they didn’t manage to make the run but reading the forums gave them the feeling they were there.  All branches of the military talk to each other through jokes, cheap shots, and mild harassment.  It is the way things are done….but for some reason, not here any longer.  I am not sure what has changed….but something is different.

Stay safe…and keep us in your prayers!

Semper Fi,

Z

2013, 2015,2016, 2017 and as many more as the old body will handle.

Viewing 44 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.