J&M CB Radio's and Sena Bluetooth

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Navigator
      Participant

For those of you who have a J&M Handlebar Mount CB radio, and are interested in cutting the cord to your helmet, Spencer Chapin has come up with a plug and play solution. This works no matter the make of your motorcycle: BMW, Honda, Harley or other.

A Sena headset (30K or 20S) and a Sena Freewire for Honda along with J&M cable HSPT-GL18 is what’s needed.

To use this plug and play system, your JMCB must have the white 6-pin plug between the main harness, and where you plug in your headset.
      See 1) Here and 2) Here. The white male connector on this cable attaches to the J&M Main Wiring Harness.  You are replacing this cable (pictures 1 & 2) with the HSPT-GL18 cable you will buy.

Some older model J&M’s do not have the Female end of the WHITE connector on the main harness. If you have the OLDER style without this white connector, you will need to also replace your OLD J&M wiring harness with the newer style: JCB03-RSLH (for Solo Driver) or JCB03-RDUH (Driver & Passenger).

BMW Riverside is offering discounted Sena Products shipped through April 30th as you can see on another post and you can purchase the J&M cable directly from J&M or another online retailer. By ordering ahead of time and having them shipped to you, you’ll have time to get familiar with the bluetooth set up.  Here’s a helpful video from Sena.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q0SSgz29EY

By subscribing to Sena’s YouTube channel, you can access help with product use and installation.  https://www.youtube.com/user/senabluetooth

Once again this May in Ontario, Sena will be there to help and answer questions, and BMW Riverside will be there with a full line of Sena products including the Freewire bluetooth modules for Harley Davidson and Honda.

Additionally, Sena has developed for Harley Davidson, the “WHIM” system, which is now available now on many HD models.  WHIM – Wireless Headset Interface Module

Either way, you can now cut the cord.  Ride safe brothers and sisters and I’ll see you in May.

Pretty Boy
      Keymaster

No matter the make of your motorcycle…. If you have a J&M Handlebar Mounted CB, buy the J&M lower cord HSPT-GL18, the Honda Sena Freewire unit, and Sena 30K (or 20S)

For J&M set-ups, the reason this works, is because the HSPT-GL18 hooks to the J&M CB, you connect the cable that comes with Sena Freewire unit to the HSPT-GL18, and the rest is wireless. There is no cord between your helmet and the bike or J&M. And the units also come with cigarette lighter power plugs.

I just converted to this set-up with the J&M CB on my BMW K1600GT.  It works great. This solution works with J&M Handlebar Mounted CB’s, no matter the make of your motorcycle.

If you have built-in Harley CB from factory, buy the Harley Sena Freewire, and Sena 30K (or 20S).

If you have built-in Honda CB from factory, buy the Honda Sena Free wire, and Sena 30K (or 20S).

You can also use a Sena 20S instead of a Sena 30K.

Kirk "Pretty Boy" Olson
      Road Guard Captain - Central Route 2022
      Central Route Road Guard - 2010-2022

Participant 2009, 2015 | All the Way 2010-2014, 2016-2019, 2022
      2012 BMW K1600GT

CASPER
      Participant

Question:  How far away from your bike can you still be connected wirelessly? 10 feet? 20 Feet?

Dennis "CASPER" Joynt
      US "Brown Water" Navy
      Vietnam 70-71
      FNG 2009
      SR-ATW 2009,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17
      SR Road Guard

Pretty Boy
        Keymaster

Farther than you probably need… :). And a lot farther than 10-20 ft.

Kirk "Pretty Boy" Olson

2012 BMW K1600GT

Gonzo
      Participant

Casper, with my Harley (made by Sena) bluetooth setup, I have walked back into the house with the bike parked at the curb and could still clearly hear my music.  If you’re wondering what I think you are, it seems that the range is good enough to dismount to mark an exit and still be able to hear the CB

Road Guard - Southern Route
      --------------------------
      CVMA Chapter 6-5

Pawkee
      Participant

How is the volume with music?

How about battery life on headset?

Pawkee
      RFTW Southern Route FNG 2007
      RFTW Southern Route Road Guard 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014
      RFTW MIDWAY Road Guard 2015, 2016, 2018 (remote), 2019 (remote)

Gonzo
      Participant

I am deaf enough that I had to get special permission from a doctor to go to Iraq the 2nd time, and I run my stereo at about the halfway mark.  I have used it on a full day of riding and it still had juice left.  I plan on charging mine every night on the Run.  The headset charges with a standard micro-usb cable.

Road Guard - Southern Route
      --------------------------
      CVMA Chapter 6-5

Rodney Bledsoe
      Participant

Will this set up work with the Sena 20s? Or do I have to the the 30k?

Nick Hentges
      Keymaster

Should work with the 20S. Might want to reach out directly to Pretty Boy (On the contact list for the BOD).

Richboy
      Honolulu Hawaii
      ATW Central Route 2009-2019-2022
      Tailgunner 2010
      Asst Platoon Leader 2011-2016
      Platoon Leader 2017-2019
      Wall to Wall Recon 2019
      Road Guard 2022
      Central Route Assistant Route Coordinator 2023

Pretty Boy
      Keymaster

Will work with 20S, as well.

Buy the Honda Freewire, and J&M cable.

Kirk "Pretty Boy" Olson

2012 BMW K1600GT

Rodney Bledsoe
      Participant

Thank you, I already have the freewire. Now to buy the CB and accessories.

sortmedic1
      Participant

Just got J&M installed. Freewire wired in. Can’t get Helmet to connect. Outrush R. Any suggestions?

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.