Let us think about a alternate date for the run

Home Forums General Discussion Let us think about a alternate date for the run

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

From all the information that is out there now, it would seem impossible for us to make the 2020 RFTW. Should we think about moving the dates. For many of us that are in our 70’s, this may be our last run. Just something to think about. I know the BOD is doing all they can and will keep us informed.

Participant

I do believe that 1000-1500 people backed into Ontario for several days is a breading ground for the virus.

WizardWizard
        Participant

Let’s wait for the BOD.  We should refrain from public speculation.  Wizard

Retired Army E-7
        Former Honor Guard Coordinator, SR
        Former Tail Gunner, SR
        Former Ambassador SR
        Risk Management Officer, SR 2021

WizardWizard
        Participant

Statement from the Board of Directors Re: Corona Virus (COVID-19)
        We are still two months out from the start of RFTW XXXII. All of us have many questions about the COVID-19 virus, and precious few answers. This is a very fluid situation. By the time we’re ready to go Kick Stands Up the virus may well have run its course, much like the normal flu viruses we’ve dealt with every year. At the other end of the spectrum, it’s possible we could be confined in quarantine zones throughout the country and subject to severe travel restrictions. Most likely, we’ll find ourselves somewhere in between. As of now, we simply have no way of knowing.

The Board of Directors is following the situation closely. At this time, we are still planning to conduct the Run as we always have. As a precaution, we have asked the Route Coordinators to develop contingency plans in the event any of our normal visits (schools, VA hospitals, community gatherings, etc.) are closed to us. We will continue to monitor events and make decisions as circumstances dictate. These will be announced to our ridership in a timely manner. In the meantime, we ask each of you to…

Be patient and remain calm.
        Avoid speculating on social media… unsubstantiated rumors are not helpful.
        Plan for the Run to be conducted as usual, unless you hear otherwise from the Board of Directors or your Route Coordinators.
        Keep your plans flexible and be prepared for the unexpected.

Retired Army E-7
        Former Tail Gunner, SR
        Former Ambassador SR

CharlieCharlie
      Participant
        <li style=”text-align: center;”>I’m 74 and ready willing and able to make this run no matter what. You leave a fellow soldier behind because you might get shot? How can we be vets and say I’m sorry we can’t honor your sacrifice because we may or may not catch the the flu said no soldier ever.
      zipperzipper
      Participant

Wizard is on the money, if you are afraid of the virus stay home. Or learn proper ways to not spread germs.

Either way speculation is not needed until Board members ask for it.

Participant

I am talking about science of the virus, if you have been paying attention. you might understand that .

Maj (ret)

Army Nurse Corps

WizardWizard
        Participant

Sir, I understand.  I will say again, public speculation will add no value to this situation.  The BOD has asked that we be cautious about this situation on social media.  I would recommend you send your concerns and recommendations directly to the BOD.

Retired Army E-7
        Former Tail Gunner, SR
        Former Ambassador SR

WizardWizard
        Participant

The BOD is discussing plans to deal with this if it does become an issue and will be releasing a statement soon. Please take note of the fact that we are still over 2 months out from KSU in Ontario and there is no way to know what the course of this Virus is going to be in that time frame. Please rest assured that plans are being made to deal with this.

Richboy
        Honolulu Hawaii
        ATW Central Route 2009-2019
        Tailgunner 2010
        Asst Platoon Leader 2011-2016
        Platoon Leader 2017-2019
        Wall to Wall Recon 2019
        RFTW BOD Director of Public Relations and Communications

Retired Army E-7
        Former Tail Gunner, SR
        Former Ambassador SR

River RatRiver Rat
      Participant

Turning 70 in August.  Was going to do the run this year again because I know what you mean – how many years do we have left?  BUT as soon as this virus thing is over, Magnet and I are jumping on the Harleys and heading to The Wall.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.