Let’s talk CB’s

Home Forums General Discussion Let’s talk CB’s

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Tex
      Participant

Now that J&M has ceased supporting CB radios for motorcycles, does anyone have suggestions pertaining to: 1) where to get repair support 2) how about repair support along the route(s) 3) anyone know of alternative cb devices which could be used RELIABLY. I haven’t been in contact with J&M (distributor for the handlebar unit I have on my Roadie) so I don’t know what they are handling support. Anyone have any information ?

Tex

NAVY
      in-country '68-'69 PBR-759
      GM3/ FTG2
      SS qualified (USS DACE SSN-607)
      Retired Senior Software Manager
      Retired A&P
      ATW '13, '15, '16, '18, '19
      FNG once - TG once - APL once, ROAD GUARD once, pain in the butt the other time

DJ
      Participant

Tex, I was thinking about getting a J&M for my wife’s Cam-AM, so if you receive any information, please post it here.

Don “DJ" Jordan - (Mid-Wife)
      USAF 1965-1986
      AZ Patriot Guard Riders-Sr. Road Guard
      2013 FNG & Tail Gunner ATW-CR
      2014, 15 Tail Gunner ATW-SR
      2016 2nd Platoon APL ATW-SR
      2017, 18, 19 6-Pack Platoon Leader ATW-SR
      2016 HD CVO Road Glide Ultra "Jaws"

Tex
        Participant

You might want to talk to Den Mother (Angie Uhler) . I believe she’s already investigated this option for her Can Am …

Tex

NAVY
        GM3/ FTG2
        Retired A&P

Tex
      Participant

Having just gotten off the phone with J&M Corp (makers of the J&M CB radios for motorcycles) I find they have completely discontinued the CB radio line. They still provide parts. They will also provide repair work if you happen to be in the Tucson, AZ area where their headquarters is located, but that’s it. This is a shame as it is/was a great product.

Now, on to the reason I’m posting this. I have a Garmin ZUMO (660 LM) which is my primary GPS. I found that the J&M CB has an audio-in line which you can use for whatever. For the past 7 years I have been using a 3.5mm audio plug from my GPS to the CB so I can hear audio instructions in my helmet if I’m following a route. The problem is with the Garmin. Sunlight will washout the screen. I’ve tried various sunshades, but if the sun is behind you then you are SOL. Garmin has no recommended screen overlay to fix this problem and hasn’t addressed this with any new release of the motorcycle GPS.

So, I’d like to hear experiences people have had with using their iPhone (I have a 12 PRO now) as their primary GPS and how it holds up under direct sunlight. I found Lightning to 3.5mm adapter on Amazon which would allow me to plug in the iPhone to my CB and still hear the verbal instructions (MUCH better guidance than the Garmin instructions).  I may just ditch the Garmin in favor of the iPhone.

BTW – I have a 2012 Roadie so I don’t have a console.

Tex

NAVY
      GM3/ FTG2
      Retired A&P

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.