Need advice from veteran (not military) Midway Route riders …

Home Forums General Discussion Need advice from veteran (not military) Midway Route riders …

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      TexTex
      Participant

I just got done unpacking the bike for the 19th time, looking at maps, updating my GPS, and looking at the 2017 photos. Those photos of the leg from Flagstaff to Albuquerque frightened me as much as I was when I first saw the movie ALIEN in a theater. It looks as if there is FROST all over some of the bike seats and I see people dressed up trying to imitate the Michelin Man. I’ve done the Southern route 4 times and I’m trying the Midway route for the first time this year. My real question is: do I need to bring a snowmobile suit, heated gloves, and a space heater with me for this leg ? OK, back to reality. What kind of weather should I prepare for during this leg. I would suspect the rest of the trip will be in warmer/wetter weather. THAT I can deal with. Oh, and NO, I’m not camping. I’m retired. I no longer camp, babysit, or blame the dog for any embarrassing bodily misfires … I just want to be comfortable. What can I expect in the way of weather ?

Tex

NAVY
      in-country '68-'69 PBR-759
      GM3/ FTG2
      SS qualified (USS DACE SSN-607)
      Retired Senior Software Manager
      Retired A&P
      ATW '13, '15, '16, '18, '19
      FNG once - TG once - APL once, ROAD GUARD once, pain in the butt the other time

PelicanPelican
      Participant

Hi Tex,

Welcome to Midway. The leg you are referring to is exactly what you describe. UNPREDICABLE to a point. We are at altitude, every year it is a little chilly in the morning when we stage in Flagstaff. I dress in layers, by the 1st fuel stop I am usually thinning my attire. I don’t mind getting wet, but getting wet and being cold is a big distraction, sometimes unavoidable though. Just be prepared as much as you can. I hope this kinda helps, a little. I’m sure others will chime in here.

Pelican

"I never met a man I didn't like"...will rogers

BullBull
      Participant

Hey Tex

2017 it did snow overnight and was 28 degrees at staging. However as soon as we leave we drop pretty quickly in altitude and warms up by first fuel stop by 30 degrees  so layers is the way to go. Maybe thermos then remove at fuel stop. 2018 wasn’t bad at all maybe 45 degrees the 70 at fuel stop.

Danny “Bull”Cox
      USMC
      FNG MIDWAY ROUTE 2017 All The Way
      PLT 4 Tailgunner 2018
      PLT 4 Leader 2019
      PLT 4 Leader 2020
      Southern Nevada PGR

TexTex
      Participant

Thanks, guys. I’ll have thermals, sweatshirt, warm gloves and, pessimist that I am, I’m bringing the toilet again. You just NEVER know …

Tex

NAVY
      GM3/ FTG2
      Retired A&P

Participant

It’s remarkable what warmth can be added by a simple rain suit. Layers is the key.

Tom Wistrand “Ziptie”

Midway Route Rear Road Guars

PelicanPelican
      Participant

Sounds good Tex. Don’t forget the kitchen sink too…ha ha

See ya in Ontario brother

Pelican

ATW ; 2013 FNG S.R.

ATW ; Midway APL ; 2014, ’15, ’16,’17, ’18 APL 2nd Platoon 2019

So. Nevada PGR

"I never met a man I didn't like"...will rogers

Participant

Hello all, after packing and unpacking my bike three time I thought I would ask what are (1) the need to have items (2) the nice to have items and (3) the items you wish you had not forgot.  We will be joining in Flagstaff (from St. George Utah) and going all the way. Last Time I did this (5 years ago) I was in a truck and did not have to worry about what to pack. Thank you for any help you can give.

TexTex
        Participant

There is a discussion called “Tip For FNG” which will give you TONS of info on what to take and how to pack. Check it out.

Tex

NAVY
        GM3/ FTG2
        Retired A&P

TowedjumperTowedjumper
      Participant

Not to steal this thread but how does Central route compare with Midway for temps, considering it goes even further north than Midway?  I know its not really a North/mid/SR thing but more of altitude so that’s what I was getting at.

2019 FNG - Central Route

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.