• January 14, 2019 at 11:12 am #10585
    imjrnokcimjrnokc
    Participant

Right now I’m planning on staying over the weekend for Rolling Thunder, seeing how this is the last year for that ride.  If that works out I’ll be departing the DC area on the morning of May 28.  I’ve not given a lot of thought to my return route as of this writing.  Anyone heading back west and planning on coming close to Oklahoma I’d like to hear about your return route plans and would enjoy riding back with you.  It was a lonely ride home last year by myself.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Gerald Richerson
    U.S. Navy 69-72
    USS Rathburne DE-1057

• February 7, 2019 at 7:24 am #10782
    Participant

Gerald, I will probably be returning the same time you will.  I’m riding to MO.  Don’t know if that would be close to the route you usually take, but would be willing to work something out.  Let me know if interested.

• February 7, 2019 at 11:04 am #10785
    imjrnokcimjrnokc
    Participant

Right now I’m thinking about heading southwest through the mountains in Virginia then west into Kentucky towards Lexington via the Daniel Boone National Forest then west to the Shawnee and Mark Twain National Forests in Missouri.  From there I’ll head south into Arkansas then west through the Ozark National Forest and then into Oklahoma and back home to OKC.  This was my first look and the return ride and it may change depending on time and money.  I’m camping and may hotel stay if necessary but staying in hotels is not my plan right now.  If you’re interest in this route you’re more than welcome to join me.

All The Way

JR

Gerald Richerson
    U.S. Navy 69-72
    USS Rathburne DE-1057

• March 3, 2019 at 8:53 pm #11207
    SuperDaveSuperDave
    Participant

I will also be rolling out of DC on the morning of the 28th heading to Colorado, I was planning on camping but not sure if I will camp if riding solo… I have not given much thought about my route just hoping to be back in Denver by that Friday… Checking out the above route on the map now….

Dave

• March 8, 2019 at 8:17 pm #11279
    Participant

Gerald, I am heading to Wichita so I might be able to ride with you a bit. I won’t be able to make Rolling Thunder due to my tight schedule and will depart the fix after the group photo on the 25th. I have to stop off for a couple days or so in Charlotte, NC and can catch up to you at some point on the 28th.  I hadn’t thought about camping but I’m open to it. Last year I did a few days camping with a hammock so wherever we camp has to have a couple big trees. Last year I rode from Charlotte to Nashville then over to Jonesboro. I did stop off in Clarksville to see the statue of Sgt Carter (Frank Sutton). That was kinda a blast from the past, lol.

Frank Sutton

• March 10, 2019 at 3:28 pm #11317
    imjrnokcimjrnokc
    Participant

I’ve given my return route some additional thoughts and here is my plan so far.  Depart DC on the 28th, heading west on I-66 to Fort Royal and the north entrance of the Skyline Drive.   I’ll run south on the Skyline and onto the Blue Ridge Parkway at Waynesboro south to Meadows of Dan.  From there I’m thinking west on 59 to Wytheville and into the Appalachians.  I may spend a day or two in this region, so many great rides (https://www.appalachianbackroads.com/).   That’s it for now.  If you have time and want to join in on this plan please feel free to join the conversation.

Gerald Richerson
    U.S. Navy 69-72
    USS Rathburne DE-1057

• March 25, 2019 at 4:02 pm #11502
    Participant

I will also be heading West, but I am planning on leaving on Monda the 27th (Memorial Day). The Rolling Thunder ride takes place on Sunday, so getting out of town on the Monday Holiday has always worked well.  I usually travel about 500 miles a day (but am flexible).

I am heading  to North Texas and usually take Route 66 to 81 to I-40 into Little Rock where I pick up I-30 down to Texarkana and on over into Texas.

Would be glad to have company any or all of it.

Big Pete,   101st Airborne,  Vietnam 1968-1969

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.