• May 29, 2018 at 7:04 am #9392
    sparkysparky
    Participant

To be honest I had never heard of this ride until Rolling Thunder 2018 when I was invited to come stand on a bridge and hold a flag to welcome the Central Route into the DC area. I was immediately impressed with what each and every one of y’all do.

That being said, I instantly decided that I want to participate in the Run in 2019.  Like many of y’all I miss the camaraderie of active duty and constantly feel the urge to do more for and with fellow veterans. As I read the many comments in the various forums here I realized that the RFTW riders are not a group of riders but are more like a family. The stories of FNGs being welcomed and the stories of the emotional healing that takes place on the Run are nothing short of amazing.

As I begin to plan for the Run I have a few questions:

When will the dates for the 2019 Run be released?

When will registration begin?

Between hotels and food how much money should I plan to have available for the Run? I am planning to have about $300 for fuel, I know it’s overkill but I’d rather be safe than sorry and the support vehicles could use the excess.

Do people typically share hotel rooms to offset costs?

I have ridden on long rides before but I have never ridden across our great nation, any tips will be appreciated. I have also never ridden in a desert, any specifics I need to know about desert riding?

After reading all of the other forums I know that I need to work on riding without a brake lever, so I will be doing that over the coming year. Are there any other tips or tactics that I should be aware of?

Now that I’ve made myself look completely incompetent, is there anyone else that will be riding out of Virginia to California to participate in the Run that wants a buddy to ride with?

Mark Burroughs
    U.S.Army (Ret)
    OIF 03-04,05-06,07-09
    “If you can’t stand behind the soldier, feel free to stand in front of them.”

• May 29, 2018 at 11:35 am #9393
    SlimerSlimer
    Participant

Sparky,

First off, “Welcome Home!”  RFTW is a huge family and not your ordinary group of riders.

Let me try to answer your questions as best as I can:

1) RFTW always begins two Wednesdays before Memorial Day and goes until the Friday of Memorial Day weekend.  According to my calendar, RFTW XXXI should be May 15-24, 2019.  The FNG ride into Arlington National Cemetery and group photo should be on May 25, 2019.  Also keep in mind, there will be events and meetings prior to May 15 in Ontario, so get there a few days earlier.

2) Registration wont be open until later this year.  Just keep monitoring the website for announcements.

3) I can’t give you an exact amount of money to have on hand, but don’t forget about the trip out to CA.  $300 for fuel on the Run seems to be a safe estimate, but you’ll need to double that to include the trip out there.  Most meals on the Run have been donated by some organization (VFW, Moose Lodge, Church, etc.), so you’ll mainly be looking at paying for meals on the way to CA and if you choose to buy anything in addition to what’s provided.  Don’t forget about merchandise and laundry mats.

4) Several people share hotel rooms to offset costs.  Just put a request out there or monitor the forum to see if others are looking.  It’s up to the individuals on the details of how the cost is split.

5/6) Tips:
    1-Pack light.  You don’t need 10 days worth of clothes.  Laundry mats are either at the hotel or in the towns we stop in.
    2-For desert riding, make sure your skin is covered to avoid sunburn and wind burns.  The desert is pretty winding.
    3-Practice maintaining your distance from the vehicle in front of you (approximately 2 seconds).  This will get you ready for keeping a tight formation.
    4- Practice maintaining your track (left or right) of the lane for long periods.  This will get you used to not weaving from one side of the lane to the other, which can cause major issues in a large pack.
    5- Another thing I practiced doing was riding for 100+ miles, pull into a gas station, top off, park for 30-45 minutes, and then go for another 100+ miles.  If you look at the itineraries, this distance/time frame is  pretty typical, so start getting your body used to it.  Otherwise you’ll really be hurting.

I hope this helped.  The best thing you can do is keep asking questions.

Josh "Slimer" Wyatt
    U.S. Army 2007-Present
    Afghanistan 2011-2012
    2016 - SR FNG - 5th Plt Participant
    2017 - SR ATW - 4th/2nd Plt
    2018 - SR - 7th Plt Participant

• May 29, 2018 at 5:18 pm #9395
    Pretty BoyPretty Boy
    Keymaster

Thanks for welcoming us in to DC! If you live in that area, there is an RFTW Group that meets for lunch about once a month.

Kirk "Pretty Boy" Olson
    RFTW Board of Directors - Public Affairs & Communications
    Central Route Road Guard - 2010-2018

Participant 2009, 2015 | All the Way 2010-2014, 2016-2018
    2012 BMW K1600GT

• May 29, 2018 at 6:01 pm #9398
    sparkysparky
    Participant

Slimer,

Thank you for all of the information. I regularly do rides in excess of 150 miles without stopping just to turn around and head back home within an hour. (The joys of living near the inlaws)  I was thinking of taking 5 days to ride out with 1 3/4 days for recovery before we start the run. That equates to 500 miles a day with the final day only having 150ish to get to Ontario. As far as clothes I was going to bring 4 fulls sets with extra undies, socks and boots in case we get rained on. I was also going to bring chaps and heavy leather jacket because I had read on the central route they had encountered snow. The only other things I would pack would be the extra helmet and a camelback.

I had also read that all FNGs start off the ride in a staggered platoon and then get moved up to riding side by side. Is it mandatory to get moved up or can we stay in the staggered? I can ride side by side but prefer staggered so that I can dodge road debris and potholes.

Once again thank you!

Mark Burroughs
    U.S.Army (Ret)
    OIF 03-04,05-06,07-09

• May 29, 2018 at 6:05 pm #9399
    sparkysparky
    Participant

Pretty Boy,

It was my honor and truly a humbling experience to see y’all rolling down the highway.  I will most definitely link up with that group, I currently live about 150 miles from DC but I am up there frequently between the Arlington Patriot Guard rides and the inlaws living there. So making the meetings shouldn’t be difficult.

Thank you for the info.

Mark Burroughs
    U.S.Army (Ret)
    OIF 03-04,05-06,07-09

• May 29, 2018 at 7:46 pm #9401
    sparkysparky
    Participant

Pretty Boy,

After an exhaustive search online I haven’t been able to locate that group you had previously mentioned. Do you happen to have contact info for anyone within the group or a website I can contact them through?

Thanks

Mark Burroughs
    U.S.Army (Ret)
    OIF 03-04,05-06,07-09

• May 29, 2018 at 8:04 pm #9402
    Pretty BoyPretty Boy
    Keymaster

My phone # is on the Board of Directors Page, give me a call, and I’ll hook you up with them.

https://rftw.us/board-of-directors/

Just didn’t want to publicize his number. He works for DoD, and pretty high up the chain.

Kirk "Pretty Boy" Olson

2012 BMW K1600GT

• May 30, 2018 at 6:06 am #9409
    SlimerSlimer
    Participant

Sparky,

I don’t know how Central Route does their platoon placements (I’ve only been on SR).  I don’t see why you wouldn’t be allowed to stay staggered.  Maybe someone from CR can chime in.

As for the Mid-Atlantic regional gathering…We typically meet on the first Saturday of each month at 11 am, at Cracker Barrel in Martinsburg, WV (just off I-81).  Something is usually posted in the forum or the RFTW (unofficial) Facebook  group.  It’s a closed group, so just ask to join via Facebook.  We just get together and enjoy the fellowship with each other for a couple hours, nothing formal.  We even request a particular waitress that is familiar with RFTW.  Her kids benefited from a RFTW coat drive for the Rainelle, WV elementary school after a major flood a couple years ago.  So even she is apart of the family now.

Josh "Slimer" Wyatt
    U.S. Army 2007-Present
    Afghanistan 2011-2012
    2016 - SR FNG - 5th Plt Participant
    2017 - SR ATW - 4th/2nd Plt
    2018 - SR - 7th Plt Participant

• May 30, 2018 at 10:22 am #9412
      Pretty BoyPretty Boy
      Keymaster

FYI – Central Route runs 3 staggered platoons.

Kirk "Pretty Boy" Olson

2012 BMW K1600GT

• May 31, 2018 at 8:57 am #9416
    VAFishVAFish
    Participant

Josh,

I’m getting in here a little late.  Mark is a friend of mine from PGR Rides.  We were on the bridge over I66 at Cedar lane with the American Legion Riders.  I might have mentioned RFTW a time or ten.  🙂

Mark if you can’t find the Facebook page I’ll send you a link.  Looks like the others are answering your questions pretty well.  They have a lot more experience on the ride than I do.

US Army 1982-1989 Signal Corps
    RFTW 2016 FNG 2nd Platoon Central Route
    RFTW 2017 Participant 2nd Platoon Central Route

• May 31, 2018 at 6:11 pm #9418
    GonzoGonzo
    Participant

Sparky,

Seems like most of the questions have been answered, but just curious, where were you in 05-06?  I was at Taji from November 2005 till November 2006 and in Baghdad from around March 2010 to August 2010.

Welcome to the Run for the Wall Family!

2018 - Road Guard - SR | 2017 - Road Guard - SR | 2016 - RGIT - SR
    2015 - Tailgunner - SR | 2014 - FNG - SR
    --------------------------
    Operation Iraqi Freedom
    CVMA Chapter 6-3

• June 6, 2018 at 8:34 pm #9450
    Towedjumper
    Participant

Sparky, I am not even an FNG yet and have some of the same questions.  The FAQ on this website ahs a pretty long list of things you should consider taking and if you can find a way to pack all of it take a pic, I’d be curious to see it.</p>
    https://rftw.us/frequently-asked-questions/

• June 7, 2018 at 4:41 am #9452
    sparkysparky
    Participant

Gonzo,

03-04 -101st-invasion and pushed to Tal Afar/Mosul

05-06-101st- Tikrit

07-09 -12th CAB- Balad/LSA Anaconda

Mark Burroughs
    U.S.Army (Ret)
    OIF 03-04,05-06,07-09

• June 14, 2018 at 5:20 am #9488
    moultonrr
    Participant

I was a FNG for 2018 and camped along the Southern Route. I highly recommend camping and trying to get to know more of your patrons along the trip in any way you can, wasn’t until the last few days I really got to talk but I hated the idea of checking out and closing myself off in a hotel room. Some of these guys that we are here for went thru the most inhumane things imaginable, what’s a few nights on a cot, in a tent or where ever we may lay that night.  The opportunities to talk to some that need the healing can sometimes be found in those wee hours in the night before you close your eyes, when everyone else is asleep and you just happen to be there.

• June 15, 2018 at 9:20 am #9496
    bill zemina
    Participant

Sparky,

I was an FNG on the Central route this year.  Welcome.  What an experience.  You don’t have to start in a staggered platoon unless you want to.  We didn’t get snow this year, Eagle Nest, NM, although they have in the past.  However, it was 24 degrees when we staged in the morning.   Hope to see you  in Ontario next May.

Bill

• June 19, 2018 at 1:51 pm #9502
    Ziptie
    Participant

Sparky,

If you’re planning to go all-the-way, you should plan on arriving in Ontario by Sunday. This will give you time to get settled in, laundry done and meeting the family. Registration for participants usually begins Monday morning- be sure you have your license, registration and proof of insurance with you. The Tuesday morning before we depart is trip to Riverside National Cemetery and should not be missed. This is where the MOH Wall is located.

Look forward to meeting you and Welcome Home and Welcome to the family.

Tom Wistrand “Ziptie”

Midway Route- Rear Road Guard ‘15-‘18

• June 19, 2018 at 6:36 pm #9503
    MichaelMichael
    Participant

Sparky, If you’re planning to go all-the-way, you should plan on arriving in Ontario by Sunday. This will give you time to get settled in, laundry done and meeting the family. Registration for participants usually begins Monday morning- be sure you have your license, registration and proof of insurance with you. The Tuesday morning before we depart is trip to Riverside National Cemetery and should not be missed. This is where the MOH Wall is located. Look forward to meeting you and Welcome Home and Welcome to the family. Tom Wistrand “Ziptie” Midway Route- Rear Road Guard ‘15-‘18

Tom, been a while. I plan on doing the ’19 run. I lost your email. Wanted to ask you a couple questions about the run. More along the same lines on what sparky here is asking. How much do you normal put aside for a round trip ride. Hope Gadsden is treating you better than Zachary.

Michael D. Hopwood JR
    SGT (RET) US ARMY
    OIF II, OIF 06-08
    KE5EUA - Generally I'm an amateur of Hams.
    --... ...--

• June 19, 2018 at 6:43 pm #9504
    MichaelMichael
    Participant

Sparky, Seems like most of the questions have been answered, but just curious, where were you in 05-06? I was at Taji from November 2005 till November 2006 and in Baghdad from around March 2010 to August 2010. Welcome to the Run for the Wall Family!

We probably took over for ya’ll in November ’06 in Taji, 1st Cav 1st BDE 115th BSB.

Michael D. Hopwood JR
    SGT (RET) US ARMY
    OIF II, OIF 06-08
    --... ...--

• June 20, 2018 at 9:28 am #9505
    Ziptie
    Participant

Michael,

[email protected]

Ph: 225-921-0196 (I prefer the phone and don’t have your number so leave a message and I’ll call you back)

• June 20, 2018 at 9:35 am #9506
    HawkeyeHawkeye
    Participant

Michael –

I’ve done The Run 13 times and have come up with a budget of about $2,600 for the round trip. I hotel it both directions; camping would lessen that amount considerably. Also, when the itinerary comes out I count the number of gas stops and budget $20 for each one, even the donated stops. Usually works out to roughly $600 so that’s my budget. Anything left over gets used for “stuff” (t-shirts, etc.) along the way. I’ve never used it all though and usually have a fair amount left over.

• June 21, 2018 at 8:05 pm #9511
    MichaelMichael
    Participant

Michael – I’ve done The Run 13 times and have come up with a budget of about $2,600 for the round trip. I hotel it both directions; camping would lessen that amount considerably. Also, when the itinerary comes out I count the number of gas stops and budget $20 for each one, even the donated stops. Usually works out to roughly $600 so that’s my budget. Anything left over gets used for “stuff” (t-shirts, etc.) along the way. I’ve never used it all though and usually have a fair amount left over.

It will definitely be hotels the entire trip. My camping days ended the minute I got my DD-214.

So budget 6k for my first run. Gotcha, lol.

I was thinking it would be around 3k but not sure.

I figure if I have 600 in cash for fuel stops, and the rest in the separate bank account I should be good.

Even with getting a brand new bike I want to ensure I have money for those oh crap moments.

Thanks.

Michael D. Hopwood JR
    SGT (RET) US ARMY
    OIF II, OIF 06-08
    --... ...--

• June 23, 2018 at 8:10 pm #9518
    Ziptie
    Participant

Michael,

Have you gotten your new bike? What kind? Be sure you have some good experience with it. Find some buddies and practice group riding with emphasis on maintaining your track and downshifting instead of braking. There are a number of active and former RFTW folks in south Louisiana.

Hope to see you in May. You have my contact info.

Tom Wistrand   “Ziptie”

Midway Rear Road Guard

• June 23, 2018 at 8:14 pm #9519
    MichaelMichael
    Participant

Tom,

I’m looking at either getting another Honda Shadow or a CTX700D. The CTX700D has the automatic transmission so that’s a plus.

Either route I go I’ll be doing a trike conversion through motortrike.

Michael D. Hopwood JR
    SGT (RET) US ARMY
    OIF II, OIF 06-08
    --... ...--

• July 20, 2018 at 3:14 pm #9656
    TexTex
    Participant

I just got done adding up my costs for RFTW Southern Route. I hotel it all the way and back home (Portland, Oregon). My total costs were similar to those above, about $2,600 for the entire trip. This includes 3 days to get to Ontario, Ca. and 7 days to return (via DC, WV, OH, IN, IL, WI, MN, MT, WY, ID, WA, and OR). It also includes getting a handshake with a tornado in WY at no cost to me. Hell of a deal. I don’t like doing more than 300 miles a day (need time to smell the flowers), but I caught “GetHomeitus” on the way and did a couple of 600 mile days. I leave DC early on Memorial Day (about 0700) and there is NO traffic. Plan accordingly. Email me if you have any questions.

Tex (ATW 2013, 2015, 2016, 2018)

USN
    in-country '68-'70
    GM3 then FTG2
    SSN qualified (USS DACE SSN-607)
    Retired Senior Software Manager
    Retired A&P
    ATW '13, '15, '16, '18
    FNG once - TG once - pain in the butt the other time

• July 27, 2018 at 9:44 am #9704
    PawkeePawkee
    Participant

Speaking of packing:

I have been doing the Run for a long time.  I can fit everything I take, including tools to rebuild the rear end of my motorcycle on the road and it all fits in the saddle bags and tour pack.

2 pr jeans
    2 t-shirts – You buy a couple RFTW shirts in CA at least one long sleeve for the desert or when it’s cold.  I almost always wear long sleeve.
    5 sets socks
    5 undies or get a pair of Long distance shorts you can sink wash at night and dry by morning.
    Medications
    Heavy jacket
    Chaps
    Thick and thin gloves.
    Flip flops and a pair of regular shorts for at the hotel.
    CPAP if you use one
    Cash for gas stops
    Most important – Monkey Butt Powder

That’s about it dude

I can pack the night before I leave.  Lol

One year I was going to meet the pack in Dallas and only ride one leg.  Had the jeans, shirt, socks I wore.  Ended up going all the way to DC.  There is always a Walmart if you need something.

Pawkee
    RFTW Southern Route FNG 2007
    RFTW Southern Route Road Guard 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014
    RFTW MIDWAY Road Guard 2015, 2016, 2018 (remote)
    Patriot Guard Rider

• July 27, 2018 at 5:02 pm #9709
    ddodd
    Participant

I have done this twice now(2017/18) and hotel both ways except in DC where I stay at the Arlington Assembly of God and expenses run about $2600 with out gas but with a 3 week return trip to California. A little time spent shopping for hotel rooms can save a lot of money. Only once did the “official” hotels have the cheapest price and I ended up paying less then the group rate so shop around.

Don’t over pack, I did and it is a real pain. The only changes I would make is pack one heavy long sleeve tee and a medium weight jacket and buy a RFTW long sleeve in Ontario and layer when it’s cold in the morning. I plan on 4 days clothes not 5, more laundry,less packing.

Doug Dodd, aka  “Bounce”

USN/USS Oriskany flight deck ‘66-‘68

RFTW 2017 FNG,2018

• July 27, 2018 at 6:57 pm #9711
    seawolf
    Participant

Does anyone know if reverse trikes are allowed?  Are reverse trikes towing a trailer allowed?

• July 27, 2018 at 7:03 pm #9712
    MichaelMichael
    Participant

What do you mean by reverse trikes? I ride a Spyder and I’m told it’s fine but according to the faq section the Polaris Slingshot would have to ride behind since it’s as wide as a car.

Michael D. Hopwood JR
    SGT (RET) US ARMY
    OIF II, OIF 06-08
    --... ...--

• July 27, 2018 at 7:06 pm #9713
    MichaelMichael
    Participant

Run for the Wall’s Official Policy on Polaris Slingshot’s is that these vehicles are the size of and essentially a “small car”. You are welcome to participate in Run for the Wall, however, you must ride/drive behind the Last Man Vehicle, or ahead of the Run for the Wall Pack. You CAN NOT ride/drive this vehicle in the Trike Platoon(s) or into Arlington National Cemetery with FNG’s.
    NOTE: This policy does not pertain to motorcycles with sidecars. Motorcycles with sidecars ride with the Trike platoon(s).

Michael D. Hopwood JR
    SGT (RET) US ARMY
    OIF II, OIF 06-08
    --... ...--

• July 27, 2018 at 7:10 pm #9714
    seawolf
    Participant

Where do trikes pulling a trailer ride?

• July 27, 2018 at 7:14 pm #9715
    MichaelMichael
    Participant

From what I understand in the back.

Here’s a quote from an email I got back asking about trike and trailer fuel stops

Now for the question on fuel stops, yes, there’s a consistent problem with the trike & trailer platoons having enough time to stretch, etc. . All routes are working hard at solving this growing problem. There will be times when you will have very little time to stretch—so be prepared, ok? I know that’s of little comfort right now, but the Route Coordinators are well aware of this issue & are working at lengthening the fuel stops for you all.

**sorry messed up the quote

Michael D. Hopwood JR
    SGT (RET) US ARMY
    OIF II, OIF 06-08
    --... ...--

• July 27, 2018 at 7:22 pm #9716
    seawolf
    Participant

What about reverse trikes (spyder) pulling a trailer?  Are they allowed in a platoon?

• July 27, 2018 at 7:26 pm #9717
    MichaelMichael
    Participant

Yes, that is what my combination will be. Trailer platoon.

This was this years platoon layout for the Southern Route.

There’s a platoon just for bikes & trailers, trikes & trailers, and a can-am platoon for us spyer lovers.

Michael D. Hopwood JR
    SGT (RET) US ARMY
    OIF II, OIF 06-08
    --... ...--

• July 27, 2018 at 7:31 pm #9718
    MichaelMichael
    Participant

They’re pretty much all laid out the same with bike & trailers, then trike & trailers in the back.

Michael D. Hopwood JR
    SGT (RET) US ARMY
    OIF II, OIF 06-08
    --... ...--

• July 27, 2018 at 7:42 pm #9719
    seawolf
    Participant

Trikes with trailer have about the same footprint as a Slingshot.  Seems reasonable to me that Slingshots should be included at the back of the trikes with trailers platoon.  This is something the BOD should consider.

• July 27, 2018 at 7:48 pm #9720
    MichaelMichael
    Participant

I quoted the reasoning for not including slingshots.

Polaris Slingshot overall width 77.6″

Spyder width 61.9″

Harley Tri Glide width 55″

Goldwing trike average width 54″

Honda Accord width 73.3″

Slingshot is wider than a honda accord.

We’re not talking about length footprint, it’s width footprint that’s an issue. Now if you decide to pull a regular trailer that is over 70″ wide do expect issues. Motorcycle trailers are narrow with the can am freedom trailer only being 45″ wide.

Michael D. Hopwood JR
    SGT (RET) US ARMY
    OIF II, OIF 06-08
    --... ...--

• July 27, 2018 at 8:15 pm #9721
    seawolf
    Participant

I understand the BOD’s reasoning.  I just don’t agree with it.  I think width is irrelevant since they are not riding side by side.  Length should be the issue of discussion.

• July 27, 2018 at 8:17 pm #9722
    MichaelMichael
    Participant

This is who you probably want to talk to then.

Diann McKee
    RFTW BOD,  Director of Risk Management

Michael D. Hopwood JR
    SGT (RET) US ARMY
    OIF II, OIF 06-08
    --... ...--

• July 28, 2018 at 1:35 pm #9726
    ozoz
    Participant

Plus they weigh in around 2200 lbs!!  And they have fly by wire steering, which is different.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.": Benjamin Franklin

When in difficult situations I ask myself "WHAT WOULD CURLY DO?"

• July 28, 2018 at 1:48 pm #9727
    MichaelMichael
    Participant

1700 lbs and not steer by wire. Steer by wire is not legal on the road. Fully mechanical steering with electronic assist.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Michael D. Hopwood JR
    SGT (RET) US ARMY
    OIF II, OIF 06-08
    --... ...--

• July 28, 2018 at 4:44 pm #9730
    ozoz
    Participant

I have been told by a couple of owners that the steering is not like a car, where you can just one hand it and not worry.  But no matter, its still a car transformed from the old KTM car …  take away one wheel and you no longer have to spec out like a car.  TX is still not allowing them because of the car/bike issue.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.": Benjamin Franklin

When in difficult situations I ask myself "WHAT WOULD CURLY DO?"

• July 28, 2018 at 6:17 pm #9732
    MichaelMichael
    Participant

Might be due to the electric assist assembly but it’s shaft not servomechanism. You can’t even have a pure hydraulic steering system on the highway due to if a hose burst you loose all steering. Also why vehicles that have rear steering assist lockout over a certain speed.

Anywho, I think we all beat the slingshot topic like a dead horse.

Michael D. Hopwood JR
    SGT (RET) US ARMY
    OIF II, OIF 06-08
    --... ...--

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Topic Tags