Rolling Thunder " DEMONSTRATION RIDE"

Home Forums General Discussion Rolling Thunder " DEMONSTRATION RIDE"

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

If you are planning on participating, remember this will be Rolling Thunders 30th year. Expect a LARGE turnout. For their 25th it was estimated by one TV news outlet the number of bikes to be in excess of 700,000 in DC that weekend. The Pentagon parking lot will be full.

Participant

Definitely planning on participating in Rolling Thunder. Where can I get all details ?  Thanks

VAFishVAFish
      Participant

Just show up with the rest of the folks going about 6 AM from the host hotel.  Or ride over to the Pentagon parking lot on your own and wait for hours.

Info on Rolling Thunder:

http://www.rollingthunder1.com/

US Army 1982-1989 Signal Corps
      RFTW 2016 FNG 2nd Platoon Central Route
      RFTW 2017 Participant 2nd Platoon Central Route

BirdBird
      Participant

My understanding is it is better to join the group leaving from the host hotel as RFTW riders get to ride up front so we are done sooner

Chris "Bird" Earley
      USAF 1975 - 1995
      American Legion Riders 209
      CR 2017 FNG

ozoz
      Participant

One has to do Rolling Thunder at least once !   Going with RFTW on Sunday morning is the best way unless you are a member of RT and can get early access.  RFTW gets to park next to RT and wait time after it starts is 30 to 60 mins(at least in the past), though you still wait 4 or 5 hours depending what time they leave from the Host Motel.

Funny to hear bikes start up when they start up and leave at noon, and some of those bikes are 2 to 4 hours from getting ready to leave ….  In the past we got back about 1:30 or so, its only a 15 min ride through town.

One hint, dont high five people along the route!  They will want to slap your hand and they dont know that if they hang on or do it wrong that they can bring you and bike down…..

Be Safe!!

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.": Benjamin Franklin

When in difficult situations I ask myself "WHAT WOULD CURLY DO?"

VAFishVAFish
      Participant

Other advantages to riding RT with the RFTW group

You are closer to the beginning of the ride so, hopefully less rubber banding.

You are riding with people who have just ridden across the country in close formation.  If you just show up on your own (as I have in the past) you are riding with unknown skill levels, and this can happen:

The Ninja 250 rider with the Camelbak is my daughter.  I was two bikes in front of her.

ReconMiltReconMilt
      Participant

I have not done Rolling Thunder, however this will be my 8th mission.  Reviewing the video I see problems, Goosing the throttle and not rolling it gradually to close the distance between bikes,  closing too fast and not paying attention, not using both breaks when stopping.

1SG Army 1966-88, 11B5MQ8, RVN 1967-68, 70-71 Southern Route, FNG 10, Staging TM 14 & Leader 15, TG 5th PLT 16, PL/APL 6th PLT 17, PL 7th PLT 18.

DutchmanDutchman
      Participant

If you ever needed a reason to buy a bike with ABS………

USMC In-Country I Corps 69-70

RFTW "Participant" 2003, 2004, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2018
      ATW 2010, 2011, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019

Participant

Thanks to all for the helpful information. I’m definitely participating in RT.  I’m definitely joining the RFTW riders to depart from host hotel.  And my Ryder has ABS!,,,,

Again thanks. Is it May yet? Soooo looking forward to maximizing my experience as a FNG

VAFishVAFish
      Participant

If you ever needed a reason to buy a bike with ABS………

After that happened I swore my next bike would have ABS, then I found my 97 Sportster.

It’s tough not to get caught up in the parade, but I figure the RFTW folks have had up to ten days and thousands of miles practice, they might be a bit better than your average Joe off the street.

DataData
      Participant

Look at the itinerary and it will tell you what time and location to form up for the ride to the Pentagon parking lot.  RFTW is a honored guest and very much near the front.  So you (check the time) meet at the host hotel parking lot at 0600 and KSU at 0630.  You get to the Pentagon close to 0700 and you wait, and you wait, and you wait.  The “Demonstration Ride” starts at 1200.  RFTW’s position gets you going about 1230.  Anyone can join RFTW at the host hotel so they did not necessarily join the run thousands of miles away.  The first time I rode with RFTW and participated in Rolling Thunder, I was near the front of our group which means I had RFTW riders all around me.  That is when I had my first and only CLOSE CALL.  A HD bagger cut me off and crossed from left to right in front of me less than a bike length from my front tire.  Did he not just ride across this country and forget or was he a local with bad manners?  So be careful ALWAYS.

So from parking at the Pentagon and KSU is a few hours but for others, it will be longer.  There will be 100’s of thousand’s of bikes.  One year they said it was close to 700K so the last bikers didn’t ride till 1600 or so.   Take water but there are vendors selling food and drinks, patches and pins.  You can walk across the bridge and see the Pentagon Memorial.  If you have a female rider with you the restroom at the Pentagon Memorial is cleaner than the portables at the staging area.  I did walk across and see the Memorial and then grabbed a bite to eat.  I also spent time walking around, looked at bikes and wiped my bike down.  The second year I was packed and left D.C. after I rode around the mall.  They direct you to parking or down the road to leave the area.  Don’t know what they do at the mall as I left both times after I circled.  Maybe someone else can chime in as to what goes on after you circle the mall and park.

Good luck and be careful.   RFTW was started to support Rolling Thunder the year after Rolling Thunder’s first ride.  So the two organizations started way back and that’s the reason RFTW gets such a close to the front position.  In my opinion, RFTW does so much more than that now.  If you spend even a few days with RFTW you will understand what I mean by that.  But you will see that many RFTW riders do not ride in Rolling Thunder.  It can be a Zoo but you should do it.   Just don’t let your guard down.

Semper Fi

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.