Southern Route

Home Forums General Discussion Southern Route

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      saxdudesaxdude
      Participant

What kind of weather can I expect for Day 1 and 2?

Big RedBig Red
      Participant

HOT!

Vietnam 1970-71
      101 ABN 3rd of the 506th
      SR ATW 2010 to Present
      2012 TG, 2013 APL/PL, 2014-15 APL,
      2016,17,18,19,20 PL

Participant

Not even the best weather man in the world can predict what the weather will be in May. Generally Arizona is 100+ by May. Hot and dry, so drink a lot of water and when you think you drank enough, drink some more.

Inactive

Yes, but it’s a Dry heat.

PapaPapa
      Participant

Dry heat, wet heat it can be very hot. In 2012 (the hottest desert crossing I personally experienced) the thermometer on my bike read 117 going down the highway. When it is that hot we always have folks pass out from dehydration. You do not want that to happen riding down the highway.

I remember our FNG briefer Dutch saying in California that “if you waited until you got here (California) to start hydrating you have waited too long”

I always start at least a week before I leave my home carrying a water bottle around with me all the time and drinking more water than I really want to get my body used to it. Then, I carry a bottle around with me the whole time I am in California doing the same thing. By the time we leave California on Wednesday morning I have been hydrating for a week to 10 days. And, make sure you have access to fluids while you are riding down the highway also. Your body will thank you.

Also remember that coffee and tea are diuretics and could actually de-hydrate you. That happened to a lady riding out to California one year. It can be just as hot West bound as it is East bound. We have a hydration trailer at each stop with fluids and sometimes snacks. Use it. They also often have cool ties to wet and wrap around your neck. Use them also…..

The above is what has worked for me but others may have methods that work just as good.

Also remember that there is no shame in “tapping out” of your platoon if you are not feeling right. I have never passed out from dehydration but as I understand it you will not get much notice before your arms and head drop and you are out.

USMC 68-70
      1st Marine Air Wing 69-70

TexTex
      Participant

2016 just outside Phoenix …

Tex

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.

NAVY
      in-country '68-'69 PBR-759
      GM3/ FTG2
      SS qualified (USS DACE SSN-607)
      Retired Senior Software Manager
      Retired A&P
      ATW '13, '15, '16, '18, '19
      FNG once - TG once - APL once, ROAD GUARD once, pain in the butt the other time

saxdudesaxdude
        Participant

Holy moly!

saxdudesaxdude
        Participant

Thanks!

Participant

it can be hot or can be or overcast & drizzling,  be prepared for anything with layers of clothes.  coolties will be available at first stop in case its hot

ReconMiltReconMilt
      Participant

Hot until you get to Grand Prairie Tx then it rains.

1SG Army 1966-88, 11B5MQ8, RVN 1967-68, 70-71 Southern Route, FNG 10, Staging TM 14 & Leader 15, TG 5th PLT 16, PL/APL 6th PLT 17, PL 7th PLT 18.

Participant

Yes drink lots of water but don’t forget to replace the electrolytes that you also will lose. PowerAde, Gatorade or other “enhanced” fluid replacements are a good thing. It took me a while to understand that I actually stay cooler by wearing long-sleeves crossing the desert. By keeping your skin covered and your clothes a little wet reduce the effects of the blistering heat.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.