Speed control

Home Forums General Discussion Speed control

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      PawkeePawkee
      Participant

Speed control is one of the most important skills in a group ride. Maintaining proper spacing is all about throttle control. Here are a few tips I have learned through the years.

1. Don’t even try to use cruise control. It won’t work.

2. Micro adjustments. No need to twist on and off. Small, 1/16th adjustments are all you need. Often times just THINKING about a speed adjustment is enough. It does not have to be instant or even quick. Smooth and easy is the ticket.

3. I see it every year. We’re pulling out of a gas stop, rounding a corner and everyone feels the need for speed. They haul ass to catch up and then get on the brakes once they catch up. Again, smooth and easy is the ticket.

4. Part of throttle control is slowing down. Don’t use the brake if at all possible. Brake lights effect bikes several bikes behind you. Instead down shift. Practice it. A trick I learned is IMMEDIATELY shift back up BEFORE rolling the throttle back on. This way you don’t zoom back up.

5. Often times just THINKING about a speed adjustment is enough.

6. If your uncomfortable maintaining spacing, talk to a tail gunner or a Road Guard and ask for help. Often times a few miles next to someone smooth can even things out.

7. Did I mention Often times just THINKING about a speed adjustment is enough.

8. Most of all, relax and enjoy your ride.

Pawkee
      RFTW Southern Route FNG 2007
      RFTW Southern Route Road Guard 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014
      RFTW MIDWAY Road Guard 2015, 2016, 2018 (remote), 2019 (remote)

DocDoc
      Participant

Nicely said, Pawkee. Really going to miss you this year. Get back soon!

Doc

USAF 70 - 74
      Vietnam 71 - 73
      Combat Veterans Motorcycle Association 41-2 Reno, NV
      Midway Route FNG ATW 2015, TG 2016, TG 2017, TG 2018

Participant

One of the biggest issues facing group riding is the dreaded “rubber band effect”. Each platoon is spaced far enough apart for other motorists to safely move in and out of the pack. But other traffic should not be given a window of opportunity to break in to the platoon. Keeping a tight formation is the key and it requires everyone in the platoon to stay sharp.

You will see motorists hanging out beside you waving- don’t spend time waving back but signal them to move along. If they insist on breaking in to the platoon, back off and let them in! They are likely looking for their exit. If they continue to stay put, a road guard or other leadership will take care of the issue.

Remember to stay sharp, stay tight and stay alert.

Tom Wistrand “Ziptie”

Midway Route Rear Road Guard

GonzoGonzo
      Participant

Well said Pawkee – I have found that when riding with the pack, staying in 5th gear instead of 6th allows me to slow down without as much downshifting.  I’m sure this varies among bike brands.

Road Guard - Southern Route
      --------------------------
      Operation Iraqi Freedom
      CVMA Chapter 6-3

PawkeePawkee
      Participant

Bump it up. 😎

Pawkee
      RFTW Southern Route FNG 2007
      RFTW Southern Route Road Guard 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014
      RFTW MIDWAY Road Guard 2015, 2016, 2018 (remote), 2019 (remote)

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.