What are the experience requirements for road guard, PL, and APL ?

Home Forums General Discussion What are the experience requirements for road guard, PL, and APL ?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      TexTex
      Participant

If I were to apply for any of the above positions, what would the experience requirements be ?

Tex

NAVY
      in-country '68-'69 PBR-759
      GM3/ FTG2
      SS qualified (USS DACE SSN-607)
      Retired Senior Software Manager
      Retired A&P
      ATW '13, '15, '16, '18, '19
      FNG once - TG once - APL once, ROAD GUARD once, pain in the butt the other time

Participant

You must have done at least one year all the way on the run to work in the platoons. The requirements can differ by each route according to who you talk to and how badly they need someone to fill a spot. Usually you would start at a tailgunner position and work your way up to APL and PL.

I have not been a Road Guard so I will defer that answer to someone who has been.

Curly

Participant

Funny thing…I asked about road guards in DC. I was told, for road guard, you have to:

1. Go all the way…Twice.

2. Have had a leadership/support position once.

3. Have attended a motorcycle safety course (advanced) within the last three years, accredited by somebody who I don’t recall.

4. Be willing to be up before anyone else on the Run is even hitting their snooze buttons. Be there to direct the staging team into the staging area and the riders as they arrive.

5. Accept that you will be the last into the rest stop, then you are the first one out. And you thought the road guards were dancing on the side of the road because it was entertaining??? Nope, they gotta pee!!!

Proper grammar is the difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

GonzoGonzo
      Participant

DOCHOOF is right.  The safety course must be an “advanced level” course.  This can be the MSF endorsed BRC2 (used to be the ERC)  ARC, Ultimate Bike Bonding, or a similar “police skills” course.

We do get up EARLY.  I learned real fast that the reason Road Guards cut in line at the fuel stops is because we have to fuel, park, and get to work flagging.

If you are interested in being a Road Guard, I recommend contacting the Road Guard Captain for the particular route.

Road Guard - Southern Route
      --------------------------
      Operation Iraqi Freedom
      CVMA Chapter 6-3

TexTex
      Participant

In my neck of the woods it’s really difficult to find an advanced course to attend. Would my 600,000 DOCUMENTED miles on my scooters count for anything ? We have MSF courses up here in the PNW, but I have seen only 1 advanced class within 300 miles of my town in the past year … and it filled up by the end of the second day of registration with a waiting list a mile long.

NAVY
      GM3/ FTG2
      Retired A&P

Ghost RiderGhost Rider
      Participant

The requirements for road guard are sent by the Board of Directors and state a professional approved rider training course every three years. There is no waiver for number of miles or years ridden. MSF is one of the courses offered but is not the only one acceptable.

You must be on two wheels, riding solo & no trailer or sidecar. You must have a CB radio, be going all the way and usually they ask for a minimum of a two year preferably a three year commitment when joining the team.

I would suggest contacting the Route Coordinator for the route you plan to ride. They can put you in contact with the Road Guard Captain for that route. The RGC may be able to help you. The RGC can also explain anything unique to their route.

Ray Wyatt
      2017 Southern Route Coordinator
      2016 Southern Route Assistant Route Coordinator
      2014-15 Road Guard Captain
      2011-2013, 2018 -2019 Road Guard
      Mission > Self

CynderCynder
      Participant

HI Skytex,

I recent years, there has been an advanced course in California, just prior to the beginning of the run.

Mary "Cynder" Melick
      Central Route
      Road Guard 2017, 2018
      Participant 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2018
      All The Way 2016, 2017
      Fuel Team 2014, 2015
      Tail Gunner, Platoon 5 Wentzville east 2016
      2018 Harley Ultra Limited "Rebel Heart"

TexTex
      Participant

OK – I’ll bite ! What is the name of the organization or website or ssn of the head honcho ? …

NAVY
      GM3/ FTG2
      Retired A&P

Jim McCrainJim McCrain
      Participant

OK – I’ll bite ! What is the name of the organization or website or ssn of the head honcho ? …

Contact the Road Guard Captain for the route that you are interested in.  Their contact info is listed under the “Run Info” tab on the main RFTW page.  Click the link for each respective route.

-OR-

Road Guard Captains:

Central Route:  Tom Miller “Boomps” [email protected]

Midway Route: Ken Dugas “Six String” [email protected]

Southern Route:  Rob Mazzone “Captain” [email protected]

Jim "Hoofer" McCrain
      Photographer, Midway Route (2019, 2020,. 2021)
      SITREP Author, (2019, 2020, 2021)
      Road Guard, Midway Route (2017, 2018)
      Road Guard, Southern Route (2016)
      Tail Gunner, Southern Route (2015)
      FNG, Southern Route (2014)

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.