At the conclusion of my last President’s message, I noted that riders should, “Reach out to someone, continue the mission however you can. We ride for those who can’t.” Our mission statement says we “Promote healing among All veterans and their families and friends, to call for an accounting of all Prisoners of War and those Missing in Action (POW/MIA) from all wars, and to support our military personnel all over the world.” As you read that statement it clearly gives a direction for us to follow in 2021.
In the past two years of postponements, we have seen registration numbers expand along with accumulated funds. Typically, registration money goes toward paying planning expenses and spending to support the routes. Postponing two years has resulted in excess funds of registration fees without normal expenses. We may be flagged by the IRS and, although this situation is explainable, it is onerous in time and paperwork necessary to calm them.
The Board of Directors feel deeply that we need to remain missional where every rider and supporter of Run For The Wall can participate. At the Mar. 18 meeting the Board voted unanimously, along with route coordinators’ consent, to begin a Facebook fundraiser that will help build a house for a severely wounded veteran’s family. The Board voted to partner with Homes For Our Troops (www.hfotusa.org) in this endeavor. Homes For Our Troops, a non-profit that has extensive experience in the enormous tasks involved with the building of these homes, will assist us during the fundraiser with marketing. We will spread the news of our efforts to other donors. Once the donation phase is completed HFOT will keep RFTW informed about the building process and will invite us to assist in the landscaping of this veteran’s new house and to the ceremony turning the house over to the veteran – no matter the location.
- We are asking our riders to donate the $30 registration fee they paid to RFTW in 2020 or 2021. No action on your part is necessary. RFTW will donate the registration fees to HFOT.
- In addition, we are asking all RFTW riders to support this mission by raising $25,000 on the Facebook fundraiser that the board will match with the $25,000 in donated registration fees, and that will be matched again by another foundation.
- We hope to raise $100,000-plus through this effort to help build the home.
- If a rider prefers to not donate but would like a refund of their registration fee, contact risk manager Diann McKee at email@example.com or https://rftw.us/contact/ no later than April 30, 2021.
- The Facebook fundraiser should be on our FB page sometime next week. If you prefer to write a check, it can be sent to our treasurer Ken “Catfish” Ward at 675-N Deis Dr, Unit #226, Fairfield, Ohio, 45014.
I hope you all will participate in this honorable mission to “Promote healing among all veterans and their families.” We also hope you will spread the word about this mission to family members and neighbors so they can be part of this mission, too. Please keep reading these messages for any additional details that appear in the coming weeks. Continue the mission.
Les “Easy” Williams
RFTW BOD President